Voyages North

11 July 2021 | Posted in Seattle
10 April 2020 | Posted in Seattle
30 August 2019 | Posted at Port MCNeill
13 August 2019 | Posted at Prince Rupert
03 August 2019 | Posted at Ketchikan
02 August 2019 | posted in Metlakatla AK
22 July 2019 | Posted at Klawock/Craig
09 July 2019 | Posted at Juneau
09 July 2019 | Posted at Juneau

Petersburg to Fanshaw (Cleveland Passage). June 10, 2015

16 June 2015
Photo: A Canadian sailboat tacking in Frederick Sound.

The sun reflected off calm water. In the distance, snow-topped mountains peeked through morning clouds. It was 7:15 in the morning and we were exiting Wrangell Narrows on the slack-before-the-ebb. With a forecast of variable winds and 30 miles to go, it looked like we would have a long easy motor. And after several days of rain, I was looking forward to some sunshine.

Once we entered Frederick Sound, Steve declared his intent to make one of his gallimaufries for breakfast and disappeared below while I drove. It was warm enough that I started peeling off layers.

As we passed the Soki Islands, waves sent Osprey bouncing. I felt uneasy. There shouldn't be waves if there was no wind. A few minutes later, we were back to flat calm. But as we ate breakfast, I looked ahead to see a sharp wind line with white caps beyond. Osprey started bouncing again. A cold wind drove me to put my jacket back on.

"Did a boat go by?" asked Steve from below.

Steve came up to take the wheel and I went below. A minute later I heard him say, "Thirty knots! Why couldn't they predict this?"

I tidied the cabin getting ready for a rough sail to windward, putting all the dishes in the sink and stowing everything loose. But by the time I came up on deck, the wind was back down to 15 knots. We raised sail and started tacking.

For the next several hours, we tacked to windward, constantly adjusting the autopilot for changes in windspeed. The autopilot was being touchy and we suspect it will be the next piece of equipment to go. We just hope it hangs on for the summer as company that made it is long out of business.

Ahead of us another sailboat raised it's sail too. The race was on with Steve crowing when we passed them two hours later.

Finally, we passed Cape Fanshaw, the wind died and we motored into Cleveland Passage to anchor.

It hadn't been the day we expected, but we'd had a nice sail. And we still had sunshine.
Comments
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Make/Model: Annapolis 44 sloop
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Steve and Elsie Hulsizer (author of Glaciers, Bears and Totems and Voyages to Windward)
About:
Elsie and Steve Hulsizer have sailed northwest waters since arriving in Seattle via sailboat from Boston in 1979. [...]
Extra:
2019 Seattle to SE Alaska 2018 San Juan Islands to Great Bear Rainforest 2017: local cruising including South Puget Sound and San Juan Islands 2016:north up West Coast VI, across QC Sound to central BC coast 2015: trip to SE Alaska 2014: Seymour and Belize Inlets through Nakwakto Rapids 2013: [...]
Osprey's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.