Owl & Pussycat / Sonsie of Victoria BC

Adventures aboard S/V Sonsie of Victoria

Pink footed booby trap

24 November 2014
Nov. 24 - At sunset a weary avian visitor circles us, trying to land. It's a pink-footed booby, and while initially deterred by our sails and rigging, eventually tries out several different perches on our spreaders. Trouble is, as Sonsie rolls in the waves the bird slides along the spreader and smacks into the mast! Next it tries out top of the mast, alternating between spinning around precariously on our windvane, and squatting on and interrupting our brand new anemometer.

As far as we're concerned, this tuckered out bird is welcome to roost anywhere save the masthead. But how to tell it to come on down and settle on top of the radar dome?

As it was, it was welcomed with an air horn, two volleys of very impressive bear bangers, our masthead strobe light, by a flash light, with the twanging, pulling and slapping various lines, and finally by the concerted banging of a mallet on the backstay. All to no effect. Eventually we gave up in frustration. The booby rested aloft for an hour or so before thankfully shoving off on another fishing expedition or just to swoop alone along the endless swells.



Comments
Vessel Name: Sonsie of Victoria
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 39'
Hailing Port: Piers Island BC
Crew: Jim Merritt & Isabel Bliss
Extra: A long ago blog featuring some of Sonsie's marvelous adventures