Owl & Pussycat / Sonsie of Victoria BC

Adventures aboard S/V Sonsie of Victoria

Another day, another bay and a nice change of pace!

25 February 2019 | Waitata Reach, Pelorus Sound NZ
Isabel Bliss
Untie from Mary's Bay after Hans on Velero departs for Ketu/ d'Urville.

We motorsail on account of the capriciousness of the winds over to the western reach of Pelorus Sound. Moor in cosy Deep Bay by 1pm in wind and chop. Row the dinghy in the chop to shore. I wonder if we will manage to row back?

Go on a great 6 mile walk along a former farm roadbed to Elaine Bay. Great to stretch our legs again!! Nice native bush with small silver eye birds, then about two-thirds of the way along, dense pine forest. Pines are from North America, planted for harvest, but the birds and insects don't care much for them and they are invasive. There are noticeably fewer cicadas crzzzing as the cooler temps have started to kill them off.

Disappointingly there is no shop or ice cream stand or cafe at Elaine Bay. There's a small camper van area for visitors so we chat with a few Kiwis on tiki tours - van touring holidays.

The tide is out when we return to the dinghy so we have to carry it 50m over rocky beach to the water's edge, then take our shoes and socks off and wade out until it is deep enough for us to get in. The chop is easing as the sun goes down behind the hills.

At dusk, the now still water starts rippling with fish swimming near the surface. There's a short burst of excitement as we hear one or two little blue penguins, but they go past us into a neighbouring bay.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sonsie of Victoria
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 39'
Hailing Port: Piers Island BC
Crew: Jim Merritt & Isabel Bliss
Extra: A long ago blog featuring some of Sonsie's marvelous adventures