Owl & Pussycat / Sonsie of Victoria BC

Adventures aboard S/V Sonsie of Victoria

Arrival into Opua, Aotearoa NZ

27 May 2019
Isabel Bliss
May 27

It's a rolypoly night hove-to off the Cavalli Islands, a matter of timing as we plan to arrive into Opua in daylight. Hoving-to is a way to slow down a boat's progress through the water, and is basically cross purposing the sails so the boat can't make much headway.

Customs has contacted us via NZMaritime Radio to say we needn't bother going to the Quarantine dock as we haven't left NZ waters (been more than 200nm away from the coast) or been to any other countries.

Up, down, left lurch, right lurch. We couldn't have picked a rollierpolier spot to hove to! Indefatigable Jim finally gets more than a few hours kip while I stay up, sitting at the nav station to check screens to make sure Sonsie stays safe - she doesn't accidentally slip out of her config, drift too close to shore or to any other vessels (there weren't any but you never know). Jim gets up to use the head at some point during the night and says that sometimes he feels like he's levitating in the V-berth when the bow plunges down a wave. The motion makes me feel all wobbly for hours after we finally reach shore!

Jim takes over by 6am after I've swung Sonsie out of being hove to and have set sail for Opua. By 9:30 he shakes me awake to tell me to come out on deck! We're motoring in flat calm in-between the coastal towns of Pahia and Russell, escorted by half a dozen dolphins! We go to the bow to enjoy their fun sport of racing along beside and in front. One couldn't wish for a more graceful greeting into port!

Upon our arrival Customs informs us that Sonsie has been granted a further 2-month extension! Time to get the prop bolts sorted, and other bits and bobs done. We will get busy doing shore things for awhile, then return to Sonsie and our blog before July 27....

Catch up with you then, and Thanks for reading this far.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sonsie of Victoria
Vessel Make/Model: Southern Cross 39'
Hailing Port: Piers Island BC
Crew: Jim Merritt & Isabel Bliss
Extra: A long ago blog featuring some of Sonsie's marvelous adventures