Easy breezy....

We did the same drill as the morning before however this time we retraced our path to Big Marco Pass to get back to the Gulf.
The wind was on the nose the whole day and we motored and then we motored some more and then motored some more after that. Thankfully the small diesel engine purrs softly and with the fifteen to twenty knot wind it is hard to tell that we are even moving. Is that still Naples off to the starboard?!?
Well after some discussion among the top brass it was decided that Sanibell Island would be an ideal spot to stop for the night.
We made a turn to starboard and raised the jib. Motorsailing at 6 knots never felt so good. We would get there at 1700.
We see the light house on the tip of Sanibell Island and the setting sun. Then up from the sea comes the bright orange RHIB and about twenty shiny coast guard faces staring at us, the big boat circles ours like a hawk about ready to dive on an unsuspecting prey. I search my memory for any kind of offense that I may have committed as the big boat comes abeam. A skinny head pokes out from the captain's slider window and asks us in a shaky voice where have we came from and where are we going to. Satisfied with our answer they roar off. Leaving us wonder.
The wind is coming off our stern at fifteen knots as we make the approach for the marina entrance. The passage is about the length of the boat and on the south side we see about five feet of sand coming off the see wall. My palms grip the steering wheel tighter as I watch the depths on the fathometer decreasing as we make the approach... 8 ft, 7 ft, 6 ft, 5.5 ft, 5 ft!! how in the world am I going to get out of this if... We make it through the pass and see an empty spot at the fuel dock. The wind is just right to make the turn and slowly drift into the spot like we know what we are doing.
Hot showers and a big meal at Gramma Dot's make it all worth it. We get back to the boat secure at the dock and rest easy tonight. There will be no anchor alarm waking us up tonight.


Comments