08 July 2013 | Montenegro
08 July 2013 | Montenegro
08 July 2013 | Montenegro
08 July 2013 | Montenegro
06 July 2013 | Corfu Greece
06 July 2013 | Montenegro
06 July 2013 | Croatia
29 June 2013 | Croatia
22 June 2013 | Croatia
18 June 2013 | The Sea
12 June 2013 | Greece
11 June 2013 | Greece
10 June 2013 | Greece
05 June 2013
28 July 2012 | Various - Elba
22 July 2012 | Sardinia
21 July 2012 | Corsica
20 July 2012 | Corsica

The Emerald Coast

22 July 2012 | Sardinia
David
We arrived in Santa Teresa di Gallura just in time to avoid the first major rainfall of the trip. The weather was predicted to turn towards the worst and for once the forecast was 100% correct. The marina had room for us on the main seawall and we secured Palarran in between two large cruisers. Unfortunately, the lines that prevented the boat from shifting were insufficient for the winds that blew into the harbor and one of our fenders popped causing us to rub against the neighboring boat. There were a few minor scratches on both boats but nothing that can’t be repaired easily. The winds and rain lasted two days which meant we had to stay in the harbor instead of exploring the nearby coast.

Tim and Chris Housler have been friends of mine since high school. They had both joined me for a sailing trip in the Caribbean last November and had now brought their families to the Med for a summer vacation. They started with a tour of Rome then flew to Sardinia for 6 days where we planned on day sailing the Costa Smeralda, Maddalena Archipelago, and Bonifacio. Santa Teresa di Gallura is situated at the extreme North end of Sardinia and is a good location for accessing these locations. It is a small laid back town that fills with holiday tourists during the summer months then shutters down for the rest of the year. The highlight of the first night was that Tim and Chris had booked a room for Jeanne and I at their resort. This was the first time in 3 months I had slept off the boat and Jeanne loved the full size bathroom, shower, and unlimited water supply. Thank you guys!

Our first excursion was to a beach area that was protected from the strong winds blowing across the Bonifacio Straights. It was a short ways away so we could get everyone used to the boat. There were 15 of us in total making it the largest group by far I’ve hosted on Palarran. The water was very cold due to the off shore winds but everyone enjoyed the swimming and diving from the rear arch. The next day we went to the Maddalena Archipelago. It was a great sail as we were able to use our main and spinnaker at the same time. The area was disappointing to me after reading so much about it as there really were not any good beach areas and the anchorages were packed. On the final day of sailing we went to Bonifacio which is one of the more stunning cliff hugging villages in the world. Our group went into the village and Nick and I stayed with the boat as we couldn’t get a short term slip. It was a funny picture of our group all on the dingy at the same time.

All too soon the group had to leave for the States and we continued on. Andrew was flying back and my old friend Tom Scanlan would be joining us. We went to Olbia on Sardinia to do the crew exchange. It turned out to be a nice town and we enjoyed some shopping and a nice dinner. The harbor was way to dirty to swim in though so as soon at Tom arrived we headed out.
Comments
Vessel Name: Palarran
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56
Hailing Port: Portage, Michigan
Crew: David, Jeanne, Nick, and Elaina Lambright
About: We enjoy adventurous travel. We also love the water. These two combined have led us to embark on a sailing tour of the Mediterranean. 2015 will be our fourth season.
Extra:
David is a small business owner who enjoys planning the family travel in his spare time. Jeanne manages the family and enjoys travel and tennis. Nick is learning how to run a business and cook by founding Nicks Gyros food trailer. Elaina is the joy of the family. Perfect in every way [...]
Palarran's Photos - Main
Joe, Matt, Adam, and Kerry enjoy the Med
No Photos
Created 24 June 2012
32 Photos
Created 3 June 2012
20 Photos
Created 21 May 2012
1 Photo
Created 7 May 2012
Photo's used in Posts
3 Photos
Created 19 April 2012
13 Photos
Created 13 February 2012

The Wanderers

Who: David, Jeanne, Nick, and Elaina Lambright
Port: Portage, Michigan

Sailing Route

Aldarion was the Heir to the King of Númenor. He was a great captain and adventurer, to the dismay of his father, who wished his son to spend his youth on the island he would one day rule. Aldarion, though, felt the call of the sea, and he built himself a vast ship, larger than any that had been seen at that time. He called it PALARRAN, an Elvish name meaning 'Far-Wanderer', and in it he journeyed the Great Sea to Middle-Earth. JRR Tolkien, The Silmarillion
Not All Who Wander Are Lost