Panormitis happenings

24 May 2016 | Rodds Bay
24 December 2015
06 November 2015 | Bustard bay
04 November 2015 | Port Bundaberg Marina
27 October 2015 | Port Bundaberg
17 October 2015 | Mele Maat
04 October 2015 | Village of Mele
27 September 2015 | Port Vila
27 September 2015 | Mololo LaiLai
10 September 2015 | Vuda Marina
02 September 2015 | Lautoka
31 August 2015 | Lautoka Fiji
24 August 2015 | Nieafu Tonga
24 August 2015 | Aloft Niue
24 August 2015 | Beveridge Reef
24 August 2015 | Palmerston Island
24 August 2015 | Maupihaa
23 August 2015 | Raiatea
22 August 2015 | Moorea
21 August 2015 | Baie D'Opunohu

Life on the marina

28 April 2014 | Lavrion Greece
Life on the marina finger.
We have christened this floating section of the marina " Lavrio's lover's lane". It is used for young people to have a rendez-vous at the end of the finger. Gender is not an issue. Because it has been cold and windy, down the end would not be conducive for romance in our books.
We have other visitors as well, some to look and of course the regular fishermen with their stools/chairs/boxes and their long fishing rods who take up position on the gangway daily trying to catch mullet. We now recognise them as they arrive by foot, bike, motorbike or cars that they park so close to the edge of the main wall. Success is not guaranteed and mostly they leave empty handed but it must be their hobby or simply to add to the table. We would definitely not eat anything that came out of the water around the marina.
The fishing fleet goes in and out daily some of them considerate with their speed but of course there are the ones who must love to make us rock and roll.
The charter boats are now decked out with their dinghies, outboards, sails, biminies all put back on board. They have started leaving on trips and the empty spaces near us are used for briefings and debriefings. When we arrived the main wall was occupied by small stall like places belonging to the charter operators. Now they are all spruced up with reception type counters, tables and chairs and a general "we're in business" feeling. Hive of activity loading linen, first aid kits, gas bottles and last minute cleaning for the turn around of boats arriving back on Friday afternoon and leaving again Saturday.....Suitcases (should be soft bags) on the dock plus bags and boxes of provisions. Very busy place on those days.
Across from us is the commercial shipping area and the ferries and cargo ships have suddenly become very regular with their arrivals and departures.
The tradesmen that come to the boat are great blokes....Glen has determined that they aren't true Greeks as they smile......We have since found that Nickos is Albanian and the Port Rep is Australian. That's why they smile. Dimitris our electrician is a large man with future health problems we think. We have acquired from him fresh eggs from his own chooks, and he brought a bottle of homemade alcoholic beverage of sorts, to be served warm. Gary and I had memories of the Gluwein in Austria and Germany, as this had the same spicy aroma. Our generator man is George and he has the nicest face and is always happy. Things are happening with the crane being finished and fitted, the generator serviced, finding replacement parts required, the wind generator installed but needing more beefing up of the pole to come. Hands on jobs are happening as well with Glen and Gary masking the bimini frame and painting the ceiling. You will notice in the pics the high vis clothing........almost thought we were back in Gladstone. Finally acquired the BBQ which needed some adjusting to fit as the only size rail mount available was for US boats not European. Now why would a European business stock US sizes and not European? Can't fathom them at all. Got a piece of inox(stainless steel) pipe the right size and fitted it to the rail and bingo we can now fit the BBQ. Nothing is made simple.



Comments
Vessel Name: Panormitis
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 410S2
Hailing Port: Gladstone Australia
Crew: Gary and Del Whitmore
About: Gary has salt water in his veins and needs to be near or on the water. Del is his wife and his sailing partner.
Extra: We learned to sail together back in 1977 and have enjoyed a variety of yachts since then. We have previously purchased a monohull in Croatia and took 18months to sail it back to Australia. Now we are doing the trip again this time with a catamaran.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/panormitis
Social:

Panormitis @ anchor

Who: Gary and Del Whitmore
Port: Gladstone Australia