Panormitis happenings

24 May 2016 | Rodds Bay
24 December 2015
06 November 2015 | Bustard bay
04 November 2015 | Port Bundaberg Marina
27 October 2015 | Port Bundaberg
17 October 2015 | Mele Maat
04 October 2015 | Village of Mele
27 September 2015 | Port Vila
27 September 2015 | Mololo LaiLai
10 September 2015 | Vuda Marina
02 September 2015 | Lautoka
31 August 2015 | Lautoka Fiji
24 August 2015 | Nieafu Tonga
24 August 2015 | Aloft Niue
24 August 2015 | Beveridge Reef
24 August 2015 | Palmerston Island
24 August 2015 | Maupihaa
23 August 2015 | Raiatea
22 August 2015 | Moorea
21 August 2015 | Baie D'Opunohu

Almeria

02 October 2014 | Almeria
From Cartagena to Almeria
We had thought to do a couple of hops along the coast planning on a stop at Aguila but wanting to take advantage of the 15 knt wind we continued on thinking Puerto Esperanza but it wasn’t more than a local boat tie up so we ventured on to Garrucha. We had sailed most of the way even tho’ the storms threatened again. We haven’t seen much sun in days and feel for the holiday makers. Daylight saving is alive and well over here and it is hard to get out of the bunk to start the day when at 0700 it is still pitch black. I think it may end in a few days. So it is Monday and we are making for San José.
Again leaving in the dark with thunder and lightning all around which eventually gave us the drenching we had expected. Some reprieve and the rain stopped and we passed San José as the wind is in our favour. So we make our destination , Almeria. On the way a navigational warning was put over the radio to watch for a rubber boat with 50 people on board…Yes they have boat people from Africa trying for a better life in Spain. There are a lot of coloured Africans selling their wares in the streets either laid out on the footpath or hanging over their bodies, and one has to wonder is it really better than where they came from, as they don’t seem to score many customers. Just as we are arriving the thunder and lightning starts and with it the rain. Called the marina for a berth and were put on the end alongside. Drowned rats we were making us secure. Had thought to stay only overnight but the weather had a big say in our extended stay. Sightseeing to the castle will be a separate blog as there is so much to tell. There are 14 movie theatres here in the city area, all celebrating the films , mainly westerns that were made here. Lawerence of Arabia was made here too so it is showing in one of the movie places. You can visit “ Fort Bravo” where most of the cowboy flicks were staged, stay in mountain style cabins and enjoy some horse riding or just hang out like an extra. We did see the “Plaza De Toros”, a functioning bull ring. They don’t do tours but you can get feel of the place from outside looking in. Much improved from the Cartagena excuse for a Plaza De Toros. The forecast for force 7 winds (gale strength) had us stay a third night, dodging rain to get about the city. We now have things organised for the replacement of our batteries and think the ones from Greece will have to be a right off and put it down to experience, a costly one at that. Can’t head into the Atlantic with out reliable power.
So now it is Thursday and we have left Almeria about 0800 heading to Motril. We didn’t have a pleasant stay there last trip as we were bashed on the end of a dock for 3 days really testing our hardware and lines, while being coated with the orange dust. We’ll see how it scrubs up this time. We are overtaking another Australian yacht and while we are taking advantage of the downwind sail, having our headsail poled, he has his headsail flapping around. Correction here, he is now putting out his pole. Copycat!!!!!!

Comments
Vessel Name: Panormitis
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 410S2
Hailing Port: Gladstone Australia
Crew: Gary and Del Whitmore
About: Gary has salt water in his veins and needs to be near or on the water. Del is his wife and his sailing partner.
Extra: We learned to sail together back in 1977 and have enjoyed a variety of yachts since then. We have previously purchased a monohull in Croatia and took 18months to sail it back to Australia. Now we are doing the trip again this time with a catamaran.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/panormitis
Social:

Panormitis @ anchor

Who: Gary and Del Whitmore
Port: Gladstone Australia