Panormitis happenings

24 May 2016 | Rodds Bay
24 December 2015
06 November 2015 | Bustard bay
04 November 2015 | Port Bundaberg Marina
27 October 2015 | Port Bundaberg
17 October 2015 | Mele Maat
04 October 2015 | Village of Mele
27 September 2015 | Port Vila
27 September 2015 | Mololo LaiLai
10 September 2015 | Vuda Marina
02 September 2015 | Lautoka
31 August 2015 | Lautoka Fiji
24 August 2015 | Nieafu Tonga
24 August 2015 | Aloft Niue
24 August 2015 | Beveridge Reef
24 August 2015 | Palmerston Island
24 August 2015 | Maupihaa
23 August 2015 | Raiatea
22 August 2015 | Moorea
21 August 2015 | Baie D'Opunohu

A tour of Hiva Ao

02 July 2015 | Hiva Oa
Atuona. Hiva Oa 09 48.19S:139 01.84W
Dinghy ashore and leave a stern anchor so the dinghy doesn’t bash up on the rocks with the swell. Darrell in front with John, Gary in the back (twin cab) and Janelle and myself take the back back, the open bit at the rear. Not long and we were up in the clouds and damp which wasn’t so good for photos. This side of the island looks to be constantly wet and is very lush. This changed as we got to the top of the ranges and came on to the dry hot side of the island but with spectacular views. A hairy ride along a winding road right on the edge of the mountains took us up high and down to villages along the fringing bays. Stunning scenery. We visited the cultural village of Puamau and spent some time in an ancient ceremonial site with several tikis. This site is surrounded by beautiful ginger plants all in flower presenting a wonderful sight. From here we had lunch down by the beach before the winding climb back up the mountains out of the sun and back into the rain on the other side. The dinghy was full of dirty water from the run off on the dock and the rain…The joys of sailing!!!! It was too wet for us to complete the tour to the grave and museum of Gauguin the French painter. He lived here for some years and while France didn’t like his paintings ( a bit too modern for them) the islanders loved him so he was a famous citizen. I think he died in 1903. We will find out when we go today (Thursday) to finish our tour. The supply ship (the Aranui) is due to arrive today and the news is that everything is fresh this afternoon. From here you won’t hear from us for a couple of weeks as we won’t have internet for that long, but as soon as we have service I’ll send off a blog.


Comments
Vessel Name: Panormitis
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 410S2
Hailing Port: Gladstone Australia
Crew: Gary and Del Whitmore
About: Gary has salt water in his veins and needs to be near or on the water. Del is his wife and his sailing partner.
Extra: We learned to sail together back in 1977 and have enjoyed a variety of yachts since then. We have previously purchased a monohull in Croatia and took 18months to sail it back to Australia. Now we are doing the trip again this time with a catamaran.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/panormitis
Social:

Panormitis @ anchor

Who: Gary and Del Whitmore
Port: Gladstone Australia