Panormitis happenings

24 May 2016 | Rodds Bay
24 December 2015
06 November 2015 | Bustard bay
04 November 2015 | Port Bundaberg Marina
27 October 2015 | Port Bundaberg
17 October 2015 | Mele Maat
04 October 2015 | Village of Mele
27 September 2015 | Port Vila
27 September 2015 | Mololo LaiLai
10 September 2015 | Vuda Marina
02 September 2015 | Lautoka
31 August 2015 | Lautoka Fiji
24 August 2015 | Nieafu Tonga
24 August 2015 | Aloft Niue
24 August 2015 | Beveridge Reef
24 August 2015 | Palmerston Island
24 August 2015 | Maupihaa
23 August 2015 | Raiatea
22 August 2015 | Moorea
21 August 2015 | Baie D'Opunohu

Fiji to Vanuatu

27 September 2015 | Port Vila
After Muskett Cove it was time to head back to Denarau to collect the boom bag. This time we were lucky to get a mooring for 2 nights only so when we decided to go ashore to watch Fiji play England over breakfast at the Hard Rock Cafe we only had a 50 mtr dinghy ride. Lucky as it was raining. Sunday afternoon we headed to Benaka Island just off Lautoka so we could clear out Monday morning early. We chose to anchor here to try to avoid the black trash from the sugar mill 'cos we had cleaned Panormitis while in Denarau. We were leaving Lautoka in our dinghy when we spotted Chris from Aisling getting into their dinghy to clear in. Quick chat and we were off back to Denarau to collect our gas bottle which wasn't ready til now...didn't matter when the refill was the cheapest we have had in 12months. Otherwise food is expensive...try FD$40 for a family sized box of cornflakes..that's about $27 AUD. It is obvious that the locals don't eat like us.
We left with cloud and a forcaste of little wind prepared to motor first off. Not to be...we had 15 - 20 knts straight up but from the SW...not really where we wanted but okay. 2 days of 2 - 3 mtr seas , rain , and a constant 7knts SOG ( speed over ground). Lost 2 very large fish. One with the lure and gear the other straightening the hook. Pleased we didn't land them as they would have been way too big for 2 people. The third night the wind dropped to 4knts so the motors had to crank up. Flat seas, sunny days and no wind. We arrived at Port Vila Vanuatu just before midday on Friday. Anchored near the customs mooring and waited for clearance. Nothing has changed here regarding the Port Control. Back in 2009 when there was a tsunami warning the P &O liner which was in port couldn't get them to answer the radio and this time we heard a P&O liner calling up to enter with no reply. They were tied up safety when we arrived without any radio communication.
Still a lot of damage from cyclone Pam. The pic is our anchorage. Note the tarp roof on the eateries and that red boat is a wreck in the water.
Comments
Vessel Name: Panormitis
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 410S2
Hailing Port: Gladstone Australia
Crew: Gary and Del Whitmore
About: Gary has salt water in his veins and needs to be near or on the water. Del is his wife and his sailing partner.
Extra: We learned to sail together back in 1977 and have enjoyed a variety of yachts since then. We have previously purchased a monohull in Croatia and took 18months to sail it back to Australia. Now we are doing the trip again this time with a catamaran.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/panormitis
Social:

Panormitis @ anchor

Who: Gary and Del Whitmore
Port: Gladstone Australia