SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

Are those lobster pots in the water?

08 November 2010 | Turtle Bay: Arrived 5:30 pm MST
Larry Nelson
We arrived at Turtle Bay just at sunset. To arrive in time we had to drive the boat pretty hard all night and all day. We made a daily equivalent of 162 nm (we were 2 hours short of a full day, so corrected for that to form the equivalent daily milage).

Turtle Bay is to be discovered by this crew tomorrow. Tonight we are going to enjoy being in a quiet anchorage. Being at sea for two nights increases your appreciation for a good night of rest. Our friends aboard Island Bound reported catching two tuna. We didn't fish...but plan to ready the hook for the next leg.

We are still adapting to the reality of being at sea. The stugeron helps. Neither of us got seasick this trip and it was reasonably rough. It is interesting that the roughness of the passage varies quite a bit throughout the passage. It varies more than you would think the wind and swell are varying.

Somewhere during the first night a bolt fell out of our rigging. I heard it hit the deck and went forward and collected it. I wonder where it came from? Also, when I dropped the mainsail I see that one of the sail track cars (NOT a batten car) has lost its connection to the sail loop. So...I guess we have something to do tomorrow besides sleep in.

There were pots in about 45 feet of water that we saw when we entered the bay. They are colored like a mexican flag. Current speculation is that they are lobster pots.

We managed to check in to the Sonrisa Net using the instructions we received from Jake Howard, KE7MZB. Our ssb did it and good signal strength was reported by net control. That's a first and it means that we have overcome the limitations on ssb tuning that have held us back on voice operation. The learning curve on the ssb is pretty steep. The net gives us all the local news and weather each morning. Call it a gossip fest, but it contributes a lot to learning to live in a new place and makes it easier to keep in contact with friends. There was a local vhf net in Ensenada that we also checked into. It was useful for all the locals in the Ensenada region. The ssb net gives us most of baja range.
Comments

About & Links