SV Panta Rhei Retirement Trip

Vessel Name: Panta Rhei
Vessel Make/Model: Able Apogee 50
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Larry and Karen
Social:
18 September 2017 | Seattle
23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert
15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory
19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK
17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK
03 June 2017 | Seward AK
03 June 2017 | Denali
25 April 2017 | Seward AK
23 March 2017 | Seward, AK
11 March 2017 | Seward, AK
23 January 2017 | Seward AK
06 December 2016 | Seward AK
12 November 2016 | Seward Alaska
14 October 2016 | Valdez, AK
21 September 2016
05 August 2016 | Seward, AK
26 July 2016 | Whittier, AK
19 July 2016 | Valdez, Alaska
05 July 2016 | Seward, Alaska
Recent Blog Posts
18 September 2017 | Seattle

We are back in Seattle

It feels like home. Of course we are not in Silshole. Maybe we will be, someday, but there is a list and we are on it. In the meantime we are at Bainbridge Island Marina.

23 August 2017 | Prince Rupert

The dinghy holds air again

It wasn't very nice of the bear to tear the fabric across a seam. We were worried that we couldn't patch it but tried anyway. The glue had a job to do and it did it!

15 August 2017 | Anan Bear Observatory

A Grizzly Bear damaged our dinghy

We were visiting the Anan Bear Observatory south of Wrangell. It is one of the best places to visit in all of SE Alaska BECAUSE it has bears. But (as we learned) there is a dark side to this bear concentration. And of course, there is a story to tell.

19 July 2017 | Petersburg, AK

Moving On

"No matter where you go, there you are" (unknown reference). By now we have been there and done that. Most recently that included Cannery Cove on Admiralty Island. The photo shows the quiet grandeur of the setting with Ron and Suzie's boat SV Tango in the foreground. It has been like that for the last [...]

17 June 2017 | Hoonah, AK

We are in Hoonah, SE Alaska now

We got something resembling a high pressure ridge so we moved expeditously across the Gulf of Alaska. The crossing took three days and weather stayed as forecast. That was a very good thing. The weather changes in the far north far more rapidly and dramatically than we ever experienced in the more southern [...]

03 June 2017 | Seward AK

Crossing the Gulf of Alaska

We are still in Seward, AK. Now that spring has come, why not start south?

We have a visitor

04 October 2012 | Neifu, Vava'u Group, Tonga
Larry Nelson
John Tong (aka "Cap") arrived yesterday afternoon. He flew in on a DC3 in a torrential downpour. I didn't think they could land but somehow they did it. Luck, I'd say. It's a good thing it was good luck. John found us straight away in town, proving beyond any doubt that this is a "small town". We'll be going out to show John the sights and see the coral garden ourselves. The plan is to take him to New Zealand with a little fun in between.

Karen fell boarding the boat from the dinghy and scraped her arm. It's the same arm she wounded in Mexico, but the wound isn't nearly as bad. She scraped her skin off in an area about the size of a quarter. We are putting antibiotics on it and of course keeping it clean. Karen is concerned that she doesn't want to miss the coral garden swim, but I think she may miss it. John and I will do it and tell her what she missed.

We had a symposium on weather to New Zealand yesterday and we also got to see the presidential debate. It was a fun and informative afternoon ashore. We were wondering how we were going to get to do that? Thank goodness for "sports bars" and satellite TV.

A crisis was averted yesterday. We had updated the BIOS on our back up computer and it killed the authorization for our CMAP charts. There is lots of stuff out there to hit and we need a back up mapping system. After a few emails to Compass Rose and to Jeppesen we got new authorization codes and we recovered our maps. This all sounds so easy and routine when I write about it, but I have to tell you that when you are in the middle of the south pacific with reefs and islands all around, losing the only back up electronic chart causes angst. I was worried and fretting. I'm better now. This also illustrates the constant need for "remembering" how I did that. Who remembers how they installed charts 9 months ago? I DO remember that the authorization codes were tantamount to typing all of Genesis in (backwards) with about 20 interspersed special characters. That hadn't changed.

The turtle in the picture swam almost into us. He got within a couple of feet before realizing that he was going to hit us. We took this picture on his approach. Shortly afterwards we saw a very large shark swim past. Thankfully he was a little further away.
Comments

About & Links