South Pacific Tour/Demelza

11 March 2016
29 February 2016
26 March 2012 | Sidney BC
12 May 2011 | 16 29.36s 151 45.41w
03 May 2011 | French Poly
01 April 2010 | Revillagigedo Is/ San Benidicto
26 March 2010 | Puerto Vallarta
19 March 2010
01 March 2010 | Puerto Vallarta
07 February 2010
22 January 2010
20 November 2009
28 November 2008
24 November 2008
01 November 2008
15 October 2008

Tidal Rapids ,Coastal Rainforest/ Sidney to Prince Rupert

21 June 2012
David
A trip to Alaska was going to be the first big trip with Demelza but plans should always be flexible and so it was that the end of May 2012 there I was leaving my berth at canoe Cove and heading north after coming home from the South Pacific the summer of 2011. Single handing ; I didn`t really know how far north I was going to get. Elizabeth was home due to ongoing family trajedies. I chose to take the northern long route through the tidal rapids enroute to the north end of Vancouver Island. Gillard/ Dent rapids, Green Pt rapids and others was a challenge unknown in most parts of the world. Only in Canada you say. Gillard was interesting as I hoped to wait for slack at a resort owned by London Drugs. The preppy little manager insisted I leave, no exceptions, so out again I went into 11knots of turbulence and floatsam and flew downstream 1.5m to an eddy to await slack 30min later. Slack for rapids of that intensity may last only minutes so you have to get it right. Even at slack there is enough current for a 6k sailboat. My night at Shoal bay was one of those memorable events drinking beer and watching Janis Joplin concert dvd`s with old rocker/ cruisers. My stop at Lagoon Cove was a surprise visit with Bob and Pat Ness. It had been 45 yrs. Sointula was great but my friend Bob Fournier was not there. It was a surprise when Elizabeth decided to fly in and join me in Port Hardy for my passage north. Things were somewhat stable at home. With Elizabeth on board Cape caution was a beat into 20k NW but alright. Namu, a deserted cannery town was exactly that. I had heard about it for years. A testament to the good times on the coast. Bella Bella and on to Klemtu where we toured the longhouse; rain. The passage through Jackson narrows was tight, beautiful and so west coast.We had some very nice following wind to push us up Matheison Channel and a few others. Our first bears were at Kutze inlet where a sow and yearling cub co-operated with some nice photos and Lowe inlet continued with wet and cool, what we should expect but we were warm and cozy enough in Demelza; bus heater, while motoring by day, and Webasto by night. Long ,narrow Grenville Channel led us to Prince Rupert. Our timing was perfect in that we were there at National Aboriginal day. A lovely sunny day of native dancing, songs, food and Tsimpsean and Haida costumes : cedar bark hats, button blankets and elaborate head pieces.It was June 21 and I had been underway for 3 weeks.
Comments
Vessel Name: Demelza
Vessel Make/Model: Vancouver 32PH
Hailing Port: Victoria BC
Crew: David & Elizabeth Newsome/ Cremona Alberta
About:
We are from farming country Alberta but always had a passion for water. That passion was satisfied for years by paddling trips in northern Canada or coastal BC until Demelza entered our lives in 2003. That is when we upsized and took the plunge. The learning curve was steep and challenging. [...]
Extra:
Demelza is hull #1 of only about a dozen Vancouver 32 PH made. As a result she was featured in Sailor magazine with her designer Robert Harris sailing on San Francisco bay in 1986; the article was featuring a new blue water cruiser that took the comfort and well being of her crew into [...]

Who: David & Elizabeth Newsome/ Cremona Alberta
Port: Victoria BC