Parlay - Where's Parlay

Retired in October 2013 and sailed down to Queensland. In July 2015 decided to sail around SE Asia taking our little dog Whiskey with us this is our journey for our friends & family

Vessel Name: Parlay
Vessel Make/Model: Irwin 52
Hailing Port: Darwin Australia
Crew: Ray, Shaunnaugh & Whiskey
13 May 2018 | Belitung
13 May 2018 | Belitung Indonesia
11 July 2016 | Koh Phangan
10 June 2016 | Koh Samui
10 June 2016 | Koh Samui
04 June 2016 | Kualu Terenggua
04 June 2016 | Kualu Terenggua
31 May 2016 | Tioman
19 May 2016 | shaunnaugh
18 March 2016
15 March 2016 | Ko Lippe
23 February 2016
23 February 2016
Recent Blog Posts
13 May 2018 | Belitung

May 2017 to 2018

Parlay and her crew went into boring mode as of last May due to the fact that we had to put her into dry dock and fly back to that third would county called Australia to visit friends and family and to do business. We left Parlay at Pangkor island marina about 200km west of Kuala Lumpa. Shaunnaugh flew [...]

13 May 2018 | Belitung Indonesia

May 2017 to May 2018

Parlay and her crew went into boring mode as of last May due to the fact that we had to put her into dry dock and fly back to that third would county called Australia to visit friends and family and to do business. We left Parlay at Pangkor island marina about 200km west of Kuala Lumpa. Shaunnaugh flew [...]

12 August 2017

Where's Parlay- Pangkor Marina

Hi Everyone,

11 July 2016 | Koh Phangan

29/6/16 to 6/7/16

29/6/16 to 6/7/16

02 July 2016

Koh Samui 1 June - 28 June

1 /6/16 to 28/6/16.

10 June 2016 | Koh Samui

P. Rendang to Koh Samui

25/5/16 P. Rendang

May 2017 to 2018

13 May 2018 | Belitung
RAY JONES
Parlay and her crew went into boring mode as of last May due to the fact that we had to put her into dry dock and fly back to that third would county called Australia to visit friends and family and to do business. We left Parlay at Pangkor island marina about 200km west of Kuala Lumpa. Shaunnaugh flew out to Darwin a week earlier than me as I had to stay behind and work my arse of on Parlay 12 hours a day in the searing Malay heat (can you hear the violins playing). From Pangkor you have to get a taxi to the bus station then a 4 hr trip to the airport and an overnight stop as the bus didn't leave early enough to catch the morning flight. Then to Singapore then to Perth to visit family and accountant, where Shaunnaugh met me the next day. From there we went to Coolangatta to visit our Daughter and son in law, Ricky and Drew, then to Brisbane to visit Shaunnaugh sisters Pippiane and Jasmine. Then off to Darwin to work our arses off in the searing heat again. Back to Pangkor, finish all the dry-dock work, then launch and replace the vinyl on the galley floor. Shit let's get out of here and sit on our worked off arses for a while. Sailed straight to Penang and anchored 200mtrs south of bridge no 2 or maybe it's no 1 as it was built first. For those who don't know, Penang has 2 bridge/causeway things connecting it to the mainland. The short one is 12 Km long. Don't drive over it just for fun because if you're in Penang long enough you will eventually take a wrong turn and end up on one of them and 30 km and 12MR toll fee later, (if you are lucky enough to have a toll card) you will be back in Penang. I of coarse have never done it once, twice maybe, but not once.
Anyway I am literally a little off the beaten track. The main reason we came to Penang is to pick up a 3 month Thai visa so we rush off to the Thai embassy and how unusual there having a 4 day holiday. What's it for? Because we can. Oh well, let's make the best of it. We hire a car (that took us a day) and cruise the sights took the wrong turn again and end up being forced into a traffic jam that led us into the biggest shopping centre ever, shit how do I get out of here before Shaunnaugh notices, TOO LATE. Now where here we may as well have a look she says. I think it would be more fun to drive over both the bridge for the fourth time, I reply. I loose. Another day gone. Four days later we go back to the embassy and we find out what the holidays were for. The Asian games were on. And Malaysia did so well that, you guessed it they have decided to have another day of to celebrate. O well if you can't beat them Join them. I wish I lived and worked in this county. They really have got it right here they have public holidays for everything. They hardly cook because they eat out and sing karaoke till midnight and get up and start work at 10am. Now you know why I call Australia a third world county.
We finally get our visa and sadly it's time to leave after one more accidental trip over bridge no 2 (O well at least we can see that Parlay is still there).
We find out that Ricky has decided to move her beauty salon and has to fit out the new one but only has 10 days to do it. The mouth goes into gear before the brain, we'll fly over and help it says. The brain always a little slower than the mouth screams at the mouth, shut up you dickhead. Shit you always get us in trouble. But Ricky knows about the quick mouth and the slow brain and jumps in, OH THAT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU COULD. . Bugger. We get the boat into a marina, madly book flights, and we arrive 6am. Off to work. Two days later Ricky suggests we knock off early to rest ourselves a little. How about 10Pm? That's great Ricky, thanks. You are the best boss.
We get most of it done and fly back arriving 7am. Bob and Shaz have just finished the Raja Muda race regatta and are waiting to join us on the boat to go down to Thailand as that is what we had planned but we were just too tired so we cruise Langkawi and play games and drink. When they get off we anchor at Cenang and do nothing for a week.
Finally we are off to Thailand (Phuket) for Christmas/New Year and to pick up my slave driving daughter and husband as they are coming for a sail from Phuket to Langkawi and then they are staying for my 21st birthday. We have Christmas with Chris, Claire and Ryan off the Yacht Quasar in Na Harn bay and moved to Patong bay a few days before New Year. In Patong we anchored with the other boats in the south of the bay. It was terrible, the ferries taking people off the cruise ships went straight through the anchorage and it had a swell coming in there as well. At night it was a bombing range as the lanterns rained down apron us. In the morning we called the other boats and told them we were moving to our favourite spot in the north eastern corner of the bay, an area called sunset beach and would call them and let them know how it was. It was beautiful, flat calm and no boat so we radioed the other to tell them of our discovery and as expected no one came to join us. We forgot that we were the one that when we pull into a crowded anchorage everyone else leaves. Oh well New Year by ourselves. We had a good couple of days walking around Patong looking at all the sleazier than me type of people. Then New Year's Eve morning comes and we are still by ourselves and two more boats come in to the bay but are heading towards the other boats. Suddenly one turns towards us and comes past close and I finally wake up that it is Adrian from Anthem who travelled up with us from OZ a few years back. He anchors and comes over with his crew for a drink. We go to town and when we get back that afternoon there are about 7 boats anchored around us. We all go to dinner together and then to Clair and Errol's boat to see in the New Year. Their boat (Restless M) has a Baby Grand piano so we have a singalong. Patong bay is an amazing place on New Year. There are never any less than 50 to 100 lanterns in the sky from sundown to 2am and the fireworks are on all night as well. I'm glad we moved away from the bombing range. A great night had by all.
A week later we move down to Nar Harn to pick up Ricky and Drew who arrive late today. It's going to be a big day and it's our wedding anniversary. In the morning we get caught in traffic and it takes 2 hrs to get to central about 15km away. We get our stores and as we come out of the shop the heavens open. It's pouring. We have to lug our stores over rocks and sand in pouring rain and when we get to the dingy it is full of water from the rain. I bail it out and we get to Parlay and she's dragged anchor a bit but the anchor has reset. I pull anchor in the pouring rain and move to a safer area, the anchor doesn't bight so we try again. Yes it in, and we have to leave to pick up Ricky as its 1 ΒΌ hrs to the airport. We can't leave the boat in this anchorage in these conditions so Shaunnaugh stays with Parlay.
It takes THREE ;;;;;; HOURS to get to the airport. My nerves are shot to shit from driving bumper to bumper in torrential rain. I find Ricky and Drew and they haven't been waiting too long as immigration took a while. We buy beers for the drive home and the rain has stopped we get a perfect run home. I drink most of the beers. My knee is stuffed from being on and off the brake all day. We make it and Parlay and Shaunnaugh are still there.
We awake the next day and the weather is perfect. We all jump off the boat into the crystal clear water and perfect water temperature. Have breakfast ashore and set sail for PP Leah or Maya beach where the movie the Beach was filmed. Perfect sail over and we pick up a mooring straight away. More swimming kayaking and snorkelling it's fantastic. Why is everything going so well? BOOM a clap of thunder and instant cats and dogs. The storm snuck up on us from behind the hill, but luckily there is not much wind in it and it is actually quite nice and brings out some great photo opportunities.
We drop the mooring and take off to PP Don (the party island) straight ashore for a yummy Indian meal then off to the fire show. Then to the Thai kick boxing. Admission is that you have to by 2 buckets of alcohol. We get a good seat but then we find out that it's the audience that has to do the fighting. You can nominate to fight someone in the crowd so I think,,, I know I'll fight Shaunnaugh, but then I play it safe and ask the Mauri guy talking to Drew if he will fight me but he chickens out with a lame excuse of I'm not fighting an old man" what are you talking about its my 21st birthday next week. Anyway he end up fighting the biggest and toughest guy on offer and cleans him up. I go congratulate him and let him know that he fought the third toughest person there after Shaunnaugh and me He's a great guy and see's the funny side thank goodness. All the fights were great and most quite funny, especially the girls and we had a wild night.
Next few days we cruise up the coast via the emerald cave, Ko Kraden, Ko Petra and Ko Lipi to Langkawi to catch up with the family flying in for my 60th birthday. and you all thought I was 21.
Comments
Parlay's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 9 March 2016
Some photos of us in Thailand
47 Photos
Created 7 March 2016
We caught up with Gayle and Ian for New Year and went crusing for a few weeks. We dropped them off at the marina then Lisa joined us for 4 days
42 Photos
Created 6 February 2016
We had some water damage to our floor so we decided to get it repaired at "yacht haven marina" they do a really good job. The named of the guy was Mali but I forget the name of the company
10 Photos
Created 6 February 2016

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups