The Cruise of the Peking

03 October 2011
03 October 2011 | Boquete, Panama
03 October 2011 | Boquete, Panama
25 January 2011
19 January 2011 | Cartagena, Colombia
17 January 2011
14 January 2011 | Cartagena
23 December 2010
22 December 2010 | Cartagena, Colombia
12 December 2010
08 December 2010 | Curacao
02 December 2010 | Bonaire N.A.
02 December 2010 | Bonaire N.A.
02 December 2010 | Bonaire N.A.
01 December 2010 | Bonaire N.A.
01 December 2010 | Trinidad to Bonaire
25 November 2010 | Cayo Herradura
24 November 2010 | Venezuela
14 November 2010 | Venezuela
14 November 2010 | Isla Margarita

Counting Down

24 February 2009 | Stamford, Ct
Jerie
idea to cruise started 5 years ago. We bought a lot on the ICW in Alabama and had considered using that as a base. As the idea to cruise expanded beyond the immediate coastal waters we became more concerned about the type of cruising boat we wanted. We had sailed in the past and decided that we no longer wanted to be exposed to the elements while underway.
We began to attend boat shows, read articles, and discuss the project with others. As time worn on, it became clear to us that we needed a boat designed for off shore cruising. By chance, John found "The Troller Yacht" by George Buehler. This book identified the features that were characteristic of an off shore capable cruising boat. Now when we went to the boat shows we had a standard to guide us in evaluating the competing models. Many were rejected because they were really coastal cruisers. The remaining competition was much too expensive.
We decided that it made sense to have a boat built and contacted George Buehler for a set of his plans. George introduced us to Bill and Stella Kimley at Seahorse Marine in Zhuhai. China. Our son, who lives in China, went to the yard and reported to us that this was the real deal. Seahorse builds quality steel trawlers with 4 watertight bulkheads based on Boehlert designs which in turn follow the lines of long line Pacific Salmon boats.
We ordered a 462 Diesel Duck and took possession of Peking in June of 2006.
Our house has sold our youngest off to the Coast Guard Academy and we moved on board.
During the last 3 years, we have become acquainted with the systems, sailed her as far North as Block and Fisher Island Sound and as far South as Solomons, Island. She has been in 6 boat shows and has given us the inspiration to continue with the cruising adventure.
This is the year we leave Stamford for the last time. We have sharpened our navigational skills, practiced our seamanship and should have our 6 pak licenses by May. Our initial goal is to spend the summer in the Cape Cod area. In the Fall we will attend TrawlerFest in Solomons and after that head South.
Between February 16th and the departure date we have much to
Comments
Vessel Name: Peking
Vessel Make/Model: Diesel Duck 46+2
Hailing Port: Southport, Ct
Crew: Jerie & John
About: John and Jerie retired June 26, 2009 from Law and Education. They are cruising in the Carribean. They spent the first hurracan season in Trinidad. They are now heading west.

The Cruise of the Peking

Who: Jerie & John
Port: Southport, Ct