Dragonflights

The Cruises of the sailing vessel Dragonfly out of Toronto and Thunder Bay, Ontario.

14 July 2018 | Port Huron Michigan
11 July 2018 | St. Clair River
08 July 2018 | Detroit Yacht Club
05 July 2018 | Fort Malden
04 July 2018 | Detroit River Light
03 July 2018 | Put In Bay, Ohio
30 June 2018 | Scudder, North Dock, Pelee Island
29 June 2018 | Put In Bay, Ohio
26 June 2018 | Scudder, Pelee Island, ON
24 June 2018 | Erieau, ON
22 June 2018 | Erie, PA
20 June 2018 | Erie, PA
17 June 2018 | Port Dover, ON
14 June 2018 | Erie Basin Marina, Buffalo NY
13 June 2018 | Sugar Loaf Marina, Port Colborne ON
09 June 2018 | Fifty Point Yacht Club
08 June 2018 | Royal Hamilton Yacht Club
05 June 2018 | Port Dalhousie
03 June 2018 | Port Dalhousie
14 September 2013

Detroit

08 July 2018 | Detroit Yacht Club
Up and at it in good time on Friday morning we started the long, SLOW trip up the Detroit River, it took us around 8 hours to make it just over 21 miles to Detroit Yacht Club. The current in the river is quite incredible, in the order of 2-4 knots... At timeout speed-over-ground was less than 2 knots. It's good thing there was lots to look at! We saw quite a few freighters, some pretty awe-inspiring industrial complexes and some sweet little waterside communities.

Around 5:00 we pulled in to Detroit Yacht Club where we had a reciprocal slip reserved. Reciprocal in this part of the world means that they let you stay in their slip and pay for the privilege, as opposed to the Lake Ontario tradition of free reciprocals. No matter, at $1.50/foot it was worth it.... The kids lived in the pool and we enjoyed the grounds, the clubhouse and the company of some amazing sailors over in the lagoon including the skipper of Apache, a gorgeous New York 32 race by the same family for over 70 years.

On Saturday we hiked across Belle Isle to the Dossin Great Lakes Museum and the Belle Isle Aquarium, it was well worth the trip.The museum was very kid-friendly and had tons of stuff for us Boatnerds. The Island has fallen on very hard times since the bankruptcy of the City of Detroit, many of the former amenities like the zoo, the stables and several of the rides are derelict and overgrown, the grass is unkempt and there is trash everywhere... however the State of Michigan has taken over and has instead millions in the refurbishment of the park, there is hope that this great park will be saved.

Sunday morning we got up and had a great breakfast and started the short trip (3 miles) to Windsor Yacht Club. We docked around 10:30 and Tay and Dave dove into the task packing their stuff. The four of them headed for the Via Station around noon and the boat was suddenly quiet and empty....

I spent the afternoon working on stuff for the Bayview-Mackinac Race next weekend and getting the boat straightened away... did laundry and then had a burger nd a few beers at the Club Bar.... tonight I shall sleep til I wake...
Comments
Vessel Name: Dragonfly
Vessel Make/Model: Ericson 30-2
Hailing Port: QCYC, Toronto, ON, and Thunder Bay, ON, Canada
Crew: Dave Robinson, Heather McCance, Cara Robinson, Spinnaker (Ship's Cat) & Leia the RookieShip's Collie
Home Page: http://www.mccance-robinson.ca/
Social: