Phambili's Progress

07 September 2011 | Canoe Cove, Vancouver Island
28 August 2011 | Entering Juan de Fuca straight - 48* 25 N 124*36 W
27 August 2011 | 60 miles from Cape Flattery
26 August 2011 | 200 miles from Cape Flattery
24 August 2011 | 400 miles from Cape Flattery
23 August 2011 | Five hundred fifty to Flattery
22 August 2011 | Still on the 41st parallel, North East Pacific
21 August 2011 | 41st Parallel North Pacific
18 August 2011 | 1150 miles North of Hilo
18 August 2011 | 1150 miles North of Hilo
16 August 2011 | 1000 miles North of Hilo
15 August 2011 | 800 miles North of Hilo
13 August 2011 | 680 miles and 5 days north of Hilo
12 August 2011 | 500 miles north of Hilo
11 August 2011 | 400 miles north of Hilo
10 August 2011 | 232miles north of Hilo
09 August 2011 | 132 miles out of Hilo
30 July 2011 | Hilo, Hawaii
27 July 2011 | 250 miles from Hilo, Hawaii
26 July 2011 | 15 Degrees North-Tahiti to Hawaii

The smell of popcorn in the morning

23 August 2011 | Five hundred fifty to Flattery
Tommy
Early yesterday morning I was gently dragged out of dreamland by a familiar aromal. Slowly surfacing I noted the motion was smooth and the starboard engine was still purring along so we hadn't found any breeze since I had handed over to Fiona at 2am. It was now 7am so that meant Neen would be on watch. What was she cooking? It wasn't pancakes, not bacon and eggs, not brownies. Could it be......popcorn? Leaving my warm bunk to investigate I found her happily ensconced in front of her laptop watching a movie. Cam was snuggled up on one side of her reading one of the Potter books on the kindle and between them was a bowl containing a few lonely kernels of corn. The only thing worse than being woken up early by the smell of popcorn is finding that the bowl is empty. Neens offered to make some more but I decided on the more traditional fare of yoghurt and granola.

Fast forward 24 hours and we are back sailing again after spending about 15 hours motoring yesterday. It's cold, grey, wet and foggy outside but inside it's dry and warmish if a little damp. It would be nice to have the furnace to dry things out a little but if the light winds continue we may need the fuel in the furnace tank to get to Sidney and it may be a blessing in disguise.

Today's project is the port engine alternator which decided to quit working just before I turned in last night. I'm hoping for a loose connection but fortunately have a spare alternator if my sketchy electrical skills can't get this one working. Boredom is certainly not an issue on passage as there is always something to do, planned or unplanned. Yesterday's planned task was clearing out the drawers in the saloon, a task which was interrupted by the arrival of a good 2 meal sized albacore tuna on the end of our fishing line. Another sign that we have entered cooler waters as we've left the domain of the dorado behind. We're honing our fishing skills. Cam grabs the camera and Nina the gaff. With the loss of the net we simply pull the fish on board at which point the cockpit becomes deserted as the crew prefers not to witness the application of the mallet. Then follows a pleasant half hour or so preparing the fish and sampling sashimi before the stove is lit and the fish is fried before, as our good friend Juergen would say, it's family even knows it's missing.

5am now and time to send off some emails while radio propagation is good.

Then a cuppa tea and maybe a bowl of popcorn.
Comments
Vessel Name: Phambili
Hailing Port: Victoria Canada
Crew: Tommy, Fiona, Annina, Naomi and Cameron

Who: Tommy, Fiona, Annina, Naomi and Cameron
Port: Victoria Canada