Phylis and Us

24 August 2017 | Musket Cove
29 July 2017 | Neiafu
07 July 2017 | Alofi, Niue
17 June 2017 | Avatiu Harbour
31 May 2017 | Maupiti
24 May 2017 | Bora Bora
04 May 2017 | Raiatea
14 April 2017 | Huahine
08 April 2017 | Fare, Huahine
22 March 2017 | Marina Taina, Tahiti
26 November 2016 | Marina Taina, Tahiti
09 October 2016 | Papeete Marina, Tahiti
21 September 2016 | Rotoava, Fakarava
07 September 2016 | Hakahau, Ua Pou
29 July 2016 | Atuona, Hiva Oa
27 June 2016 | Isabela, Galapagos
30 May 2016 | San Cristobal, Galapagos
09 May 2016 | Isla Taboga
20 April 2016 | Shelter Bay, Panama
01 April 2016 | Shelter Bay, Panama

Life on the hard

20 April 2016 | Shelter Bay, Panama
Mick
Hard it isn’t, brutally hot it is. Phylis is tucked up in a corner of the boat yard right next to the rain forest where we don’t get a lot of wind. We are perpetually in various stages of sweatiness depending on how much we move around or indeed try and do some work. I take my hat off the guys working on the hull all day long. When they were doing all the grinding and sanding they were dressed head to toe in Tyvek suites and wearing full face masks – I can’t imagine how hot it was for them. So the waiting is nearly over. The last coat of antifouling is going on right now, then we need to shift the boat stands and paint all the missed bits and then she’ll be ready to launch. Monday 25th I’m told.


Fairing the hull


The mixing shed, hubble, bubble, toil and trouble


On goes the first coat of epoxy primer for the barrier coat


That’s the barrier coat all finished


The first coat of antifouling going on under close supervision


Supervising the workers


Antifouling all finished

Phylis came out the water in November and we went home for three months. When we came back we went on a bit of a backpacking holiday around Costa Rica and Nicaragua. We’ve been back living on the boat for four weeks. Apart from the regular bus trips to Colon for shopping we haven’t done anything but sit around, stay out of the sun, take a dip in the pool and watch the world go by.


Not a bad spot to cool down

As soon as the sun goes down the G&T’s come out and the best part of the day begins. We’re using our little Magma rail mounted BBQ for all our grilling and roasting and it’s working out a treat although if you don’t keep the drip tray clean you soon have hot fat flying all over the place. The evenings are a blessed relief from the heat and sitting in the cockpit sipping our cocktails and munching peanuts, life feels pretty good.


The cruisers happy hour hangout


Notice the hi-tech BBQ implements?

There’s a fair amount of wildlife around. Last evening we spotted a small black Jaguar trotting along the forest path. We get frequent visits from Howler and White Faced Capuchin Monkeys and of course there’s an interesting variety of birds. I’ve spotted a black one, a blue and grey one, a green and yellow one with a black and white face, a black one with a red breast….. hmm, must do better.


Phylis tucked into her corner at the edge of the rainforest


They decided to do some tree clearing one day – Panama style…. They used a crane to steady the tree top then pushed it over with the forklift


I have to mention the recent earthquake tragedy in Ecuador as if it wasn’t for the fact of our delays we would have been in the thick of it at Puerto Amistad Marina, that I understand is now a pile of rubble. We had a tsunami alert for the Pacific side of Panama and of course the Galapagos had the same warning. Apparently all cruisers upped anchor and headed out to deep water asap. As it happened nothing was felt but it pays to be safe.

Assuming the engine starts and that we don’t find anything broken, worn out or corroded to death we are planning to leave within the next three weeks. We have to get measured by the Panama Canal Authorities so they know how much to charge us, and then they give us a transit date. Before all that we’ll be hard at it preparing and provisioning Phylis for the greatest adventure of our lives.
Comments
Vessel Name: Phylis
Vessel Make/Model: Spindrift 43
Hailing Port: Conwy, UK
Crew: Mick and Kym
Extra: "Instead of flying home why don't we buy a boat and sail home" - that's how it all started 6 years ago.
Phylis's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.