Blue Ocean on Picaro

03 February 2015
06 January 2015
31 October 2014
25 October 2014
02 October 2014
04 August 2014
26 July 2014
20 July 2014
15 July 2014
04 July 2014
04 July 2014
04 July 2014
25 June 2014

Getting ready to leave Grenada

03 February 2015
By Catherine
November 4th to November 20th

We are finishing our projects we need to get done before we leave. We sewed some more bimini curtains so it would limit some side sprays when we sail. You know those waves that come and hit on the side well it will help. I also made something to protect my bike since I polished all the rust away I want to keep it looking like that for a while.

George got his alternator checked that died a while back. The new 60 amp charger works great, wow what a difference in the speed it charges the batteries now... a close call.. I almost burnt everything I forgot to close a switch... yikes that could have been really bad.. Sorry Cap't...

We are saying good bye or see you later to some cruiser friends. Some we will probably not cross paths again and some we will definitely see up island somewhere.

We played some volleyball. The group has shrunk quite a bit but the level of play has improved. So it's nice to see that people are making some efforts to get better for their hobby. Unfortunately, George went to save a ball and banged his knee enough to have to get out of the game. He put ice right away and he's limping. He has to be patient and give it some time. I'm still doing my yoga classes 3 times a week. I was asked to give a class. I know I can do the moves but to guide a class hum!!! Well, I was hoping that the regular teacher Angelica would do the class on Saturday. Friday, she had confirmed that she would be here.. No announcements on the net Saturday morning hum! I decided to go anyway and I picked up Monica from Journey that just arrived into Mount Hartman. When I got there we were about 7 or 8 so I did a brave thing and taught a one hour yoga class. I think I did pretty well. The hardest thing to do is flowing the moves together and remembering what you did on one side and do the same on the other and the breathing.

Since George is on the sidelines because of his knee, I went to Hash house Harriers at Dragon Bay with Marie-France and young Raphael (Reve d'Ocean). It was a mix of trails: Roads, forest, beach thru the waves, steep hill on a road, steep hill in the woods, and a little stream. They started earlier because the sun goes down earlier so we were home early too. It was nice to have our heart pumping...

Dinghy race: There were about 6 dinghies that raced. First the driver had to drink a cooooolddddd beer then jump in the dinghy. We had to go backward up to a mark, then race to the end of the bay and go around two buoys come back to the first mark, shut the engine and paddle to the dock. We did great on the backward part since I was hanging on the bow to avoid some salt water coming in over the transom. One dinghy boat plug came out, caused a collision with Goosi boy then he lost control of his dinghy and almost climbed onto Scherzo. When we got to the furtherst mark the engine stopped.. hum.!!!! Pumped the fuel line and we were on our way again but Scherzo passed us during that period. Some cruisers were watching from their vessels others were at the dock to cheer! It was a lot of fun. Emily Morgan with a 15 HP won the trophy.

George found a bike that fits him so we will be able to go around the islands on our bikes. We didn't have a chance to do it in Grenada but I see us doing it on the other islands. Since that first time I gave the yoga class, I gave another 4 classes after that. I'm getting more comfortable doing it. The kids asked me, since we were still around, for one more Volleyball Clinic. It was so nice to see that their skills improved: like ball control and being able to create a play 1-2-3... and achieve goals. I had a great time doing those clinics.

Underwater Sculptures: We had promised Nanci and Goosi for a sail to the sculptures in Moliniere. We left Friday morning and sailed most of the way to the mooring ball in Moliniere. We dinghied over and found a bunch of the sculptures: last message, the circle of kids holding hands one boy and one girl (total 14 couples), falling women, the praying person and a mask into the reef. We had a good time. The statues are about twenty to thirty feet down. George was able swim down, while I can only reach about eighteen feet. We stayed a little while resting at the mooring ball then decided to move to St-George anchorage for the night.
Some rain squalls came as we are about to have dinner, then it passed. We had a nice evening. The next morning I made some French toast for breakfast and went to say good bye to Rafiki (Robin, Ingrid, Alex and Catherine). They are going north. We also stopped at Amelie IV (Mark, Marie-Claude, Meghan and Matthew) to see their new deck work and say good bye also. They are heading West to Panama and then poins beyond, so it might be a while before we cross paths with them again. We decided to leave early, George wasn't feeling well. We motor sailed all the way back to Mount Hartman to run the engine and test the new alternator. We had a great time.

Sunday George was feeling lousy; spend most of his day in bed. The weather was rainy, squally...so a good day to be in bed. We had a break in the weather and made a run to Calivigny to get my new Spin Dryer, now named Spitty. After you hand wash your clothes it's a machine that will spin and dry your clothes at about 75%. So with the wind and the sun, now doing the laundry takes a lot less time. THAT MAKEs ME REALLY HAPPY!!!! Love my new Spitty... it works on 110V and the invertor. After the new charger, that's great to have on Picaro. I also got a Magic Bullet blender, I haven't use it yet but it's for making smoothies, callaloo cream soup, guacamole, etc... I will so some research to get recipes on line.

Hospital Visit: Well, after a rough night, I decided to bring George to the hospital. We got there thanks to our friend Goosi. I called him at 6 am for him to come and bring us. We went to the public hospital got admitted immediately. Intravenous and two shots on the butt and George was in lala land for about 4 hours. They treated him for Kidney stones. We went for an X-ray and some drugs. We took the local bus up to CK's where Goosi picked us up. George felt nauseous and I will spare you some details. I had to inform our soon to be visitors Ross and Astrid about George's condition. They are flexible in their schedule if George doesn't get better in 24 hours. Thank God it passed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Picaro
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 473
Hailing Port: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Crew: George and Catherine Pyrpiris
About: Catherine's a Golf Pro, George is a Produce broker and a Realtor. Just turning the page.
Picaro's Photos - Main
42 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
44 Photos
Created 3 February 2015
Beneteau 473 photos
10 Photos
Created 17 January 2015
14 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
51 Photos
Created 31 December 2014
88 Photos
Created 4 November 2014
18 Photos
Created 30 October 2014
21 Photos
Created 24 October 2014
79 Photos
Created 30 September 2014
47 Photos
Created 3 August 2014
107 Photos
Created 26 July 2014
10 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
43 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
43 Photos
Created 15 July 2014
32 Photos
Created 15 July 2014
24 Photos
Created 15 July 2014
20 Photos
Created 5 July 2014
32 Photos
Created 4 July 2014
57 Photos
Created 4 July 2014
91 Photos
Created 26 June 2014
37 Photos
Created 24 June 2014
53 Photos
Created 14 June 2014
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2014
33 Photos
Created 1 June 2014
21 Photos
Created 1 June 2014
36 Photos
Created 28 May 2014
14 Photos
Created 24 May 2014
9 Photos
Created 24 May 2014
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2014
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2014
25 Photos
Created 20 May 2014
59 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
8 Photos
Created 17 May 2014
27 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 10 May 2014
39 Photos
Created 4 May 2014
51 Photos
Created 30 April 2014
18 Photos
Created 20 April 2014
34 Photos
Created 13 April 2014
6 Photos
Created 26 March 2014
20 Photos
Created 23 March 2014
20 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
23 Photos
Created 19 March 2014
20 Photos
Created 13 March 2014
5 Photos
Created 9 March 2014
11 Photos
Created 9 March 2014
15 Photos
Created 26 February 2014

Blue Ocean on Picaro

Who: George and Catherine Pyrpiris
Port: Fort Lauderdale, FL