Pickled Pirates in Paradise

Ever dreamed of running away, jumping on a sailing boat and see where you land up?.......we have, and we have done just that.

21 January 2014 | corfu
21 January 2014 | corfu
13 June 2013 | Port Di Roma
07 June 2013 | Sardinia
02 June 2013 | Corsica
01 June 2013 | Toulon
09 April 2013 | Toulon
04 April 2013 | Toulon
07 March 2013
20 February 2013
20 February 2013
21 January 2013 | Peterborough
17 January 2013 | Conington
13 January 2013 | Toulon
23 December 2012 | Rapallo
23 December 2012 | Puerto Venere

Landed up in Toulon

13 January 2013 | Toulon
Tracey
We finally landed up Toulon after about 2 weeks of very hit and miss weather, it seemed close in a lot earlier this year than last. We seemed to be darting for cover every night as it was too rough to anchor any more. The final straw came when we left Antibbes, we had some lovely sailing weather with strong winds, richard was in his element, then towards the end of the day the winds start hit about 40 knots although the sea was not big. Richard had pulled his sails in accordingly and was hoping to have just a small head sail out when the furling drum on the head sail snapped, half of it was still attached but the other half had gone in to the sea, naturally within seconds the wind took the headsail screaming out and with no way to pull it in. He managed to turn the boat into wind with the idea of me keeping it in wind while he went up front and pulled the sail down. This was not as easy as we thought it would be as the wind and the sea felt so strong and I couldn't hold it . Richard decided to take her into a bay and try and do it with a bit of shelter. So he motored into a bay with headsail flapping like mad. Anyone watching us must have thought we had lost the plot, trying to keep control of her in 40 knot winds with a full head sail out. Richard finally got us into a bay, and it took a couple of attempts but eventually I managed to hold it while richard went upto the bow and started to pull his sail down, we have never been in such a thrashing wind. The minute the sail started to come down the boat started to stabilize thank goodness. I think it was the hairiest moment on the boat so far. We then dropped anchor to asses the damage. Without the furling drum we would be motoring all the way to Barcelona, so decided to motor into Toulon and see if we could get a new one. Once we were in Toulon, Richard asked if they had any room for us and like the way all along the coast it was no way, we can give you a couple of days and that's all. We took the 3day option and went in search of a chandler to get the offending furling. This also like most things in Europe is easier said than done. The chandler seemed to have difficulty in placing the order, or needed another part number, they were on holiday, everyday there seemed another excuse as to why it hadn't been ordered, but it clearly was not going to be available before we were due to leave. But someone was looking after us, because the capitainerie decided he could give us a berth for the winter on the visitor dock for the winter!! So with a berth secured we decided to close the yacht down and head back to UK . 2 weeks later when we went back to the UK, we still did not have our furling or even a price for it. We headed back to UK with the chandler promising to email Richard with arrival date and price of the part. Richard emailed him several times without a response. Richard found the part on the net, but thought it was silly to order it as it was coming from France to the uk for us to take it back to France! So just before Christmas we went back out to the boat, with a view of finding some one else to order it for him. He went to see the original chandler and yes he had spoken to the factory and could get the part and how much it was going to cost and now that we were back he would order it. But of course every thing closes down over Christmas!! So here we are nearly middle of January, still no part but we have been promised it will be here this week along with a whole list of other bits and pieces Richard needed.
Comments
Vessel Name: WHY NOT
Vessel Make/Model: Sun Odyssey 45.2
Hailing Port: UK
Crew: Richard & Tracey
About:
We have bought a Sun Odyssey 45.2 and is called Why Not. Richard is going to be Captain, (with my permission) and I am going to be cook,navigator and chief bottle washer. So if we get lost, it will be my fault and I will have to walk the plank, especially now that he thinks he is Jack Sparrow. [...]
Extra: Hoping to hear from anyone who is experiencing a similar adventure or just interested in following our blog.

Pickled Pirates

Who: Richard & Tracey
Port: UK