Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

Sailboat shuffle, whale tales, and more farewells in Half Moon Bay

12 October 2018
Thursday, October 11, 2018

Getting used to doing "the sailboat shuffle"...two on a 33 foot sailboat requires some fancy shuffling inside the cabin to get things done without being in the other's way. Simple tasks like brushing teeth and getting dressed for the day become a choreographed work of art. After awhile, you get into a natural groove of life on a sailboat.

For letting go of conveniences, you get so much in return: Dolphin visits, whale sightings. David,"Captain Ahab",was the first one to spot a large pod of humpback whales. One was putting on a great show of whale tail slapping. I've got to read up on why whales do that...

Upon arrival to Half Moon Bay, we received the prevailing "smelly peli" welcome from all the pelicans on the breakwaters. One pelican christened our boat's deck just after anchoring...what a large splat! No wonder some call it the "poop deck".

Taking our time down the California coast allows us to work out a few kinks along the way...the hiccup in the dink's outboard, technical problems with our Garmin Inreach satellite communicator. All part of a day's journey at sea. Like paying dues to the Sea Gods.

Today, Friday, we hiked along the cliffs above the famous Mavericks surf spot where we spotted more whale frenzy offshore!

Cocktails and appetizers with Jeff and Annie, SV "Annie", from Richmond Yacht Club ended another fine day. They officially bid us farewell. Tomorrow we head south to Monterey. Hoping for a nice northerly breeze and a great sail.






Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018