Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

“26 Miles Across the Sea....”

25 October 2018
Thursday, 10/25/18

0630, cast off lines at Channel Islands Yacht Club when a Full Moon was setting in the western horizon between two tall palm trees. Shortly after that, we enjoyed a beautiful sunrise off the coastline as we started our sail to Santa Catalina.

Does anyone remember that dumb song, (my apologies to the person who wrote it or sang it, but it's dumb, IMHO), "26 Miles Across the Sea....Santa Catalina is awaiting for me"? Those are the only words I know to the song, so at 7:30 in the morning, I tortured Skipper David for getting me up so early by singing it! For those that know me, know that I can't carry a tune! It was sweet revenge!

We had hoped for a northwesterly, but got a southerly. Oh well, we will take it. Later in the day, the wind shifted and we were able to sail on a beam reach. Just not enough wind to carry us all the way to Catalina Island before midnight! Wind was 10 knots at best! Our speed 5.5 knots.

Another group of dolphins joined us and played along the bow. There was a baby dolphin that stayed close along side mama, following her lead as they both sped along side Pinocchio! Really cool to watch the baby dolphin in training.

Ten hours later, at 1630 hrs, we arrived at Two Harbors, Isthmus Cove. A busy place in the summer time, but this time of year, pretty quiet. Perfect! Skipper David says that we are moving too fast. So we plan to spend 3-4 days at Catalina. There's the little village of Two Harbors for me to explore and a nice hike across the Isthmus to Catalina Harbor. Weather has been just spectacular, sunny, clear skies and warm!
Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018