Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

“Hostage” in San Diego

04 November 2018
Perhaps some of you who are following my blog are wondering if Pinocchio and crew have fallen off the edge of the world...good news...we haven't. We've been taken “hostage” in San Diego as guests of David's cousin at a Marina/Resort he is affiliated with.

As a hostage of Kona Kai Resort and Marina, one is required to relax and enjoy the beautiful harbor views and partake in all of the resort amenities.

I've been doing the requisite routine every day, which includes about 45 minutes of lap swimming, hot tub, eucalyptus steam room, and finishing off with a refreshing shower.

Yesterday, we watched the start of the Hot Rum Regatta. It was quite a dance on water, with over 100 spectacular sailing yachts and racing boats participating. Each crew strategically maneuvered their boat to be at the best place for start time. There were even crew members up masts in bosun chairs checking out wind conditions offshore. Sailing is pretty serious business down here. After the race, we went to the Hot Rum Party hosted by the San Diego Yacht Club. What an enthusiastic sailing club, with young and old sailors alike. It was fun hobnobbing with the yachties at SDYC.

Our stay in San Diego has not been all R&R; David’s been working on a little puzzle with the alternator of our newly installed engine. There’s been schlepping back and forth with groceries and laundry...lots of walking! And, of course, dock-walking at every opportunity to check out all the boats!

We are waiting for a nice northerly breeze to sail down to Mexico. Southerlies are predicted for most of the week. Our best chance looks like this Wednesday, where Southerlies will be light, with some wind from the east. First stop will be Ensenada, where we will officially check in to Mexico 🇲🇽.


Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018