Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

Dolphins, and whales, and Seals! Oh My!

21 November 2018
We've been visited by dolphins for hours at a time. I've been hanging out at the bow, stretching my open hand out as if to wave hello, or as a sign of touch. They are so close, I can hear their high pitched voices, and they turn sideways as if to get a glimpse of me. Then they started showing off, doing upside down circles at the bow, racing the wake of the bow, and flying up out of the water to dive back down again.

Humpback whales sightings have been few along the Baja coastline, but always a treat! To get a glimpse of these migrating giants as they return south to familiar waters is a special gift of the day. A few breaches have taken our breath away.

Seals have been plenty along the way. Popping up their curious heads when we drop anchor to see who has come to visit their bay. While underway one day, we caught a fish on the line; it seemed like it was going to be a keeper because it really fought hard. Just as we were realing the fish in, a seal came up to try to take it from the line! We won and had barbecue tuna that night!
Later that night as we were sleeping, something kept banging the hull at the bow where we sleep. We woke up and discovered seals were either feeding under the hull, playing around the anchor line, or getting their sweet revenge for us getting "their" fish earlier! It only happened in that anchorage and after talking to other cruisers that morning we discovered we were the only ones to be kept awake by seals!
Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018