Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

The Road to Todos Santos

02 December 2018
Ok, either David and I are too old for this cruising kind of stuff, sleep deprived, or we blew out our brain cells (don't ask how). We've been bumbling about with directions, and had our first experience driving the roads in Mexico.

We rented a car in San Jose Del Cabo to take a day road trip to Todos Santos last Friday. With both of us brain dead, (I attest my condition to dehydration, David says he attests his condition to being with me!), we got the car rental and directions. Seemed simple enough.

We left San Jose Del Cabo, already lost and found ourselves at the Toll Road entrance. As we drive up to the gate, we don't know what to do! There's a slot, so David tries to shove 100 Pesos in. Meanwhile, the car behind us is tooting, a friendly toot, not too obnoxious. Finally we press the "Red Button", the gate opens and we drive off. Not sure what happened, we pulled over to figure things out. Confused, lost, and feeling totally incompetent,we didn't want the Federales after us. Then a SUV drives up along side of us and we figured it was the authorities. We are in trouble now. Kids! send money! But, instead, it was the driver behind us who tooted his horn. He stopped to give us our entrance ticket to the toll road; something very important to have when you leave the toll road! He then proceeded to tell us the way to Todos Santos. Needless to say, we were very grateful that he took the time to stop and help a couple of old “gringos”. What's the matter with us? Sea water on the brain? I mean Really!

Todos Santos was full of vendors, doing everything to entice us into their shops. One gentleman even claimed to be the artist and creator of every piece of silver jewelry in his shop...there were thousands of jewelry items.

Once we found the "real" old town, off the main drag, it became more of what we had hoped for. Artisan shops, little restaurants. We found a great place to eat, El Zaguan, A tiny space set up between two exterior walls.

A drive to the beach to see the surf ended our day at Todos Santos. We succeeded with the toll road logistics on the way back to San Jose. Maybe there's hope for us after all...
Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018