Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

Island Time!

19 December 2018
Great news!
Our regulator and alternator problems are fixed.

Sunday, December 16, at 1500 hours, we departed Mazatlan for Isla Isabel (known as the "Galapagos of Mexico"). Another overnight trip, as we planned it to arrive at Isla Isabel at daybreak to make navigating and anchoring at the Isla easier.

Monday, December 17, we arrive at Isla Isabel 0630 hours, just in time for the beautiful sunrise off the island. Thousands of Frigates filled the sky and humpback whales surrounded us, making for a warm welcome.

Only two anchorages off the island; one is notorious for losing your anchor to the rocks below; the other is very rolly. We opted for the rolly anchorage, off the beach where the blue footed boobies breed.

Isla Isabel formed by volcanic action, is a protected island and run by Mexico's National Parque. The iguanas, Frigates and boobies rule the roost. No predators.

We took our dinghy over to the research center, where the resident scientists and biologists were studying sharks. Sharks!? I wanted to go for a swim later!

My first impression of the island was a mini Jurassic Park. Iguanas were at every step I took. Other reptilians of all sizes scurried around. The male frigates were very active, puffing out their red chests to attract a female. The brown boobies were breeding on this side of the island. What an orchestra of Jurassic noise.

Once back to the east side of the island, where we anchored, we took the dinghy to the shore, where the blue footed boobies breed. What silly birds boobies are! Their long necks and big blue feet make for quite a look as they almost "penguin" walk to pick up those big blue feet. We got as close as we could without disturbing their natural activities and habitat. I was grateful to have my little telephoto camera with me.

Back to the boat for a swim. I had since forgotten about the shark studies at the south side of the island. The water was delightful, clear aqua blue and warm. We put on our snorkel gear to give Pinocchio's bottom a quick check and cleaning.

Humpback whales stayed just offshore of us. Breaching, tail slapping a providing us entertainment for hours.

As evening rolled around, so did the roll in the anchorage, making for a sleepless night, but it was all worth it!





Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018