Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

Jesús to the Rescue!

12 January 2019
I guess I left things sort of hanging in my last blog post, where I expressed "we're gonna get spanked" sentiment.

Wednesday
The rain,thunder, and lightening prediction never happened. The winds and seas did pick up as predicted on Wednesday. We set a stern anchor out to prevent Pinocchio from laying in the trough and rolling. Poor Pinocchio, she looked unhappy (if boats could express feelings) all tied down. But, it made our evening and sleep much more comfortable.

Thursday
Happy to report all is calm and Pinocchio is swinging both ways now! ;).

We had a great snorkel day off Isla Cocinas, in the southern part of Bahia Chamela.
We found a nice little white sandy cove to anchor the dink and explore the clear, turquoise waters around the rocky shore. It was nice to see healthy coral and plentiful fish of all colors and sizes. We packed a dry bag for a snack only to find out that I didn't tighten the water bottle enough. The water bottle completely drained out in our "dry bag" making for a soggy lunch and wet camera, wet towel and clothes! Note to self: no more water bottle in the dry bag! Dry bags are to keep water out...not in!

Friday
We were "rescued" by Jesús on his 4X4 ATV this afternoon!

After realizing we were low on gasoline for the dink, we went ashore with both gas tanks, the larger one was half full and already heavy. The 2 gallon one was empty. No Pemex gas station in town, but we heard of a guy selling gasoline out of litre bottles and any other container he had on hand. So we began the long trek with our cans, already tired from a 6-mile walk on the beach earlier in the day. As we got closer to Centro Perula, it became apparent that no way in hell could we walk back with full tanks, especially the larger one. A young boy on an ATV road by me and and smiled. He continued on to the nearest abarrote to buy a cold drink. I kept walking way ahead of David, thinking I'd get to the gas guy first and see if he was even open for business. All of a sudden, I heard a whistle from behind me and there's David on the back of the ATV! David and Jesús both wearing big smiles. David had told Jesús to drive right past me! it was a good thing for David that Jesús had better sense and a heart and stopped. So here's Jesús, a 9th grader, 14 years old, driving two old farts in the back of his ATV. He spoke no English, but was very happy to help us and very proud of his ATV. He waited for us to get our tanks filled and drove us back to our dink at the lagoon. We thanked him and he graciously accepted reimbursement for his time and gas. As we waved Jesús goodbye, we both believed he wasn't expecting any payment for his random act of kindness.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018