Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

FlipFlop Fishing

12 January 2019
We had two goals when we left beautiful Bahia Chamela today: 1. Make water. 2. Catch a fish.

Cruising on a little pocket cruiser like Pinocchio can be challenging at times. We are limited with water supply and fresh food storage on a 33 foot boat. Pinocchio is a cold-molded sailboat and doesn't weigh much, so we can't load her up. But on the bright side, we can fit in tight spots, and sail fast!

Water maker on, fishing line out. We are good to go. As we headed for Paraiso, a little gem of a spot I read about, hopefully off the beaten track, I spotted a turtle, then several jumping small fish...a good sign. Question is who/what is chasing the small fish? Just like "projecting" getting a great parking space, I "projected" us catching a great fish. We were getting low on protein and a fish would really add to the veggies in our small refrigerator.

Whizzzzzz! Fish on! I put the engine in neutral and David got the fishing rod. We soon discovered that the reel was broken. Most likely from our run in with the long lines! Arghhh! The reel couldn't get any traction to bring the fish in. David, aka "McGyver" had a moment to think. He's going to need to reel it in by hand. What can he use to wrap the fishing line around? The closest object(s) were our flip flops. Of course, I gave him one of his, bigger, better, and I didn't want to lose my flipflop! It took quite a bit of manuevers and patience to get this big guy in. We were not giving up! Finally after 45 minutes, we got the Dorado aboard. It was quick thinking and hard work. We deserved that fish, and were grateful for it providing us nourishment...all 35 pounds of it!

We are now anchored in Paradise, or Paraiso Bay. A small little 3 boat anchorage, great for snorkeling and exploring. We've got water and we've got fish. All is good.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018