Sail Pinocchio

Adventures of Two by Sea

20 May 2019
19 May 2019
12 May 2019
12 May 2019
04 May 2019
24 April 2019
19 April 2019
19 April 2019
07 April 2019
27 March 2019
13 March 2019
09 March 2019
02 March 2019
25 February 2019
07 February 2019
30 January 2019

It’s a Jungle Out There!

07 February 2019
After quick stops at Bahia Santiago and Las Hadas, we returned to our favorite anchorage, Ensenada Carrizal, where the whales come to rest, and manta rays play!

Ensenada Carrizal did not disappoint. We had another 4 days of great snorkeling in this beautiful anchorage.

On Monday, friends Dale and Ken on SV Slow Dancer, Kari and Tom on SV Dragon's Toy, and Amalia and Kevin on SV Tashee rounded the point to join us. We had nightly cocktails, taking turns hosting on our boats. Lots of laughs and stories! David and I felt like we were sharing our "private" anchorage with our friends, as we guided them to the best snorkel grounds we had found so far.

As a group we decided to take a morning hike after beach landing our dinghies. We had heard of a trail and were curious. The narrow, steep trail started from the beach, tall grasses and thick bush lining the sides. Soon we came to a sort of clearing, with palm trees. It looked like a development that started years ago, with progress stopped at the few 8 inch curbs defining the rough road.

We heard some loud squawking coming from the palm trees. Seems like we disturbed the local resident large birds. The birds had crests, with long tails, almost looked like parrots. I think they were Black-Throated Magpie Jays.

As we continued down the primitive road, we entered a jungle on steroids. Colorful, extra large butterflies flew around us; Huge blooms of tropical flowers canopying the road. We spotted many fallen extra-large bee hives, Ant "highways" 6-8 inches wide crossed the road at many points. Along side the road was the remains of an armadillo. At one turn in the road, we heard a animal sound we could not identify. There in the trees were Coatimundis (sort of monkey-like, but closer to raccoon family). The birds and Coatimundis provided "jungle music".

The road continued on and on. At one point, the group made a decision to turn around and head back to the anchorage and our boats. Those that hike with me know how difficult it is for me to turn around before I come to a "summit" or a defined "destination". I was outnumbered...this time...

We returned to the anchorage and our sailboats and then went off to explore new snorkeling grounds. I've become very fond of beautiful King Angelfish, whom I have "adopted" as my pets. This afternoon I snorkeled with at least 25 of them!
Comments
Vessel Name: Pinocchio
Vessel Make/Model: Custom Frers 33
Hailing Port: Woodacre, California
Crew: David Pressley and Susan Micheletti
About: David, Skipper; Susan, First Mate (soon to be skipper...shhh mutiny!)
Extra:
Pinocchio was built entirely of Spanish cedar in Brazil and launched in 1991. A stout yet light West System cold-molded custom boat built to a German Frers design, with a LOA of 33.5 feet, beam of 11.5 feet and 6’ draft. Pinocchio’s build and history includes many days’ labor of love and [...]
Pinocchio's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 2 October 2018