Piper Adventures

Treasure Cay, Whale Cut Passage, Green Turtle Cay

19 March 2015
Beautiful, 19nms, 85 degrees, NE 5, sea temp 81
Picture is of another boat heading South in the Whale Cut Passage....photo of it flat is in the photo gallery.

3-19-2015: Left Treasure Cay after a dinghy ride through the canals. Headed for the infamous Whale Cut Passage. 5-6' seas against a ebb tide was reported, very sloppy and accurate. Donna got some good photos of a small ship in the narrow channel and are in the photo gallery. Lots of boats going both ways...rocking and rolling. The wind was only 5 from the North East and you can imagine what it would be like in 25 -30!! Glad to get through, but not to start the painful trip North very slowly. Anchored off settlement harbor at Green Turtle Cay for two days with flat calm water. I never knew the Sea of Abaco could be so tame for so long!

3-21-2015: Took a slip at Black Sound Marina for a couple of days. Kind of quiet at the marina with most boats gone that were there in January. Went by the big cat with the Screwpile gal on it at Leeward YC and I told her LG put her picture on his Screwpile face book and that he would give her a new hat next year (now this year) at Screwpile...big smile and thanks! Tied up in the middle of the T head. Roy the owner from Gainsville, Fl soon arrived after picking up his wife and girlfriend Millie from the airport in Marsh Harbour to stay for a week. Steve who rents Roy's house on the grounds for the winter returned from fishing with his wife Faye with some BIG fish! They stay in Roy's big rental house across the cove and Roy moves his big house boat from the marina to his house when his wife is in town. He designed the large house boat that is self sufficient with an ice maker, water maker and only draws 11 inches of water. He spends his summer on the in the shallows of the Bight of Abaco with his grand kids, canoes, kayaks, jet skis, etc.. Soon David the local fisherman arrived to check out the catch...just like old times. Joe Frost arrived by dinghy since he draws too much water to get into Black Sound and had happy hour on the pier. Then left for dinner at Harvey's in the settlement. Sat at the same table, same chair and same arrangement as before with Mike and Carla.

3-22-2015: Nice breakfast on the boat and then off to find a Church. Ended up at the Anglican Church in New Providence settlement with predominately Black Bahamians who sing an awful lot! Back to Piper for bologna sandwiches and then the nearby cart rental place. Off to the North side of the island at White Sound to pick up Joe who came in an anchored on high tide. Over to the Bluff House Beachside grill to check things out, then stopping at all the beach access roads for Donna to see all the way to the end of the island. Stopped by Lizzards Bar & Grill at the Leeward YC for an early dinner and a 2 for 1 rum special. Then back to the North side of the island to drop Joe off at the Green Turtle Club dinghy dock. Then back to turn the cart in....someone lost money on that deal with all the travel and gas usage.
Comments
Vessel Name: "No Sched..."
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 MkII
Hailing Port: Solomons Island, MD
Crew: Jerry and Donna Taylor
About:
We celebrated our 42th wedding anniversary on Sept. 14, 2016. We have had power boats, sailboats - Venture 22, Catalina 25, a Soverel 30 that we raced for 27 years and cruised some in. We raced mainly around the Patuxent River, mid-Chesapeake Bay. [...]
"No Sched..."'s Photos - Main
Photos taken since purchase of "No Sched..." in May 2016.
16 Photos
Created 16 January 2017
115 Photos
Created 8 March 2015
120 Photos
Created 2 February 2015
120 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
Travels of Piper going down the Intracoastal Waterway
120 Photos
Created 30 October 2014