Piper Adventures

New Smyrna Beach - St. Augustine

22 April 2015
Beautiful, 73 nms, mm 778, sea temp 80
I went home for nine days to take care of domestic issues that consume land lubbers time. Good to be back in NSB. Todd/Sherry's new house has the drywall up and they should be moving in a couple of months. Joe Frost on Gemini stopped by for a couple of days. I missed Richard and Carole Hackett on Kilissa from Solomons by one day, but will catch up with them. There were three boats from Hampton, VA the day before I left and one was a Catalina 470 named Southerly II. Their previous boat was Southerly that they brought to Screwpile for a few years. I have a black/white photo of us rounding the windward mark and setting spinnakers in a pretty good blow. Southerly was a boat length ahead and of course I owed him 6 sec/mile!!

Left NSB at 8 this morning for the long haul North. The highlight of the day was when some huge dolphins were jumping out of the water to apparently try to catch white butterflies that were about 2' off the water. A nice little afternoon snack for them...not sure how they taste.

Arrived in St. Augustine at my friends Hank and Marion who I met in the Bahamas. Arriving on a very low tide and Hank had to come out in his whaler to pick me up while waiting for the tide to come up to get to their dock. Late happy hour at the nearby Conch House Marina and then delicious spaghetti at their condo. Stayed late re-hashing all our Bahamas adventures.

Comments
Vessel Name: "No Sched..."
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 42 MkII
Hailing Port: Solomons Island, MD
Crew: Jerry and Donna Taylor
About:
We celebrated our 42th wedding anniversary on Sept. 14, 2016. We have had power boats, sailboats - Venture 22, Catalina 25, a Soverel 30 that we raced for 27 years and cruised some in. We raced mainly around the Patuxent River, mid-Chesapeake Bay. [...]
"No Sched..."'s Photos - Main
Photos taken since purchase of "No Sched..." in May 2016.
16 Photos
Created 16 January 2017
115 Photos
Created 8 March 2015
120 Photos
Created 2 February 2015
120 Photos
Created 14 January 2015
Travels of Piper going down the Intracoastal Waterway
120 Photos
Created 30 October 2014