S/V Pizzazz - Journey Downunder

South Africa to Australia

07 December 2016 | Gold Coast
29 October 2013 | Hope Island, Gold Coast Australia
12 December 2012 | Southport, Gold Coast
12 December 2012 | Southport, Gold Coast
05 November 2012 | Gold Coast, Australia
05 November 2012 | Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
05 July 2011 | Hope Island
05 August 2010 | Southport, Australia
05 August 2010 | Southport, Australia
05 August 2010 | Southport, Australia
05 August 2010 | Brisbane, Australia
07 July 2010 | New Caledonia
03 June 2010 | Bora Bora
09 April 2010 | Panama
05 April 2010 | Panama

Pizzazz Sold

07 December 2016 | Gold Coast
Well Pizzazz has been sold and hope she has fair winds and smooth seas for all her future adventures, she is a good boat and will miss her dearly.

But now we have purchased our new girl and looking forward to new adventures on "Lime Time".

For Sale

29 October 2013 | Hope Island, Gold Coast Australia
Hugh
Well the time has come to start looking for a new home for Pizzazz, unfortunately it is very expensive to moor here in Australia and the long term outlook for long distance cruising, seems very bleak at the moment, so with sore hearts and sure we will regret it.
She has been a great boat and she gave us much pleasure and many beautiful memories, but hope she can now give the same to other cruisers planning an exciting adventure.

The After

02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
This is the front cabin completed.

This past weekend was a long weekend, so we stayed over on Pizzazz which was great to be back on-board over night, brought back some fantastic memories, the weather was just great and it was a full moon weekend as well.

Hard work on the interior

02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
Hugh
We have also been very busy on the inside. Every Sunday we are at the boat for the whole day, Keith, Glyn's brother, also comes down every Sunday and he has helped us tremendiously, we have now completed the make-over for this year, and have spent the weekend cleaning and tiding up, it is amazing the mess when busy with all these projects. This is just an example of the before and after of the front cabin.

Pizzazz on the comeback

02 September 2012 | Hope Island, Gold Coast
Hugh
So it has been tough settling in to Australia, we have found it very expensive, but finally we have had the time and money to get Pizzazz out for her bottom make-over, so May this year she came out the water and we had the bottom done and we also did the deck non-slip, so she is looking good again. This photo was taken during her make-over.

Movement from Pizzazz

05 July 2011 | Hope Island
Hugh
Well it has been a long time, and am missing it. Well firstly to William Villet, thank you for letting us know about Neil, may he rest in peace, we did meet him as he came to visit us in Richards Bay before we left South Africa, condolences to the family.
Well Pizzazz has moved at long last, our time in Southport came to an end and she had to move, so she is now docked at Hope Harbour Marina at Hope Island which is just as far from the house in km's but only 10 min drive, the drive to Southport was always hectic with traffic.
We have still not spent much time on Pizzazz as we are still setting up the house but hope to still get Pizzazz ready for the summer, she has to come out the water in September/October so once back in the water, we hope to have her back to the condition she was in when we left Cape Town.
This is a photo of her new home for the next year.

Pizzazz naked...take two!!

07 August 2009 | Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou Island
Hugh
So another pic of Pizzazz.........

Pizzazz naked......

07 August 2009 | Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou
Hugh
So we also had to do work while there, in preparing Pizzazz for hurricane season on her own. We removed everything off the deck which had to go inside. The inside was getting cramped with all the sails, bimini, spray dodger, water & fuel containers, all the safety equipment, we also taped equipment up in the cockpit, to save from the sun without the bimini & dodger. I also put extra rope on the solar panels, just in case......

Durban at last

24 February 2007 | Durban
Hugh
Well after all the work we have done so far and past years dreaming of doing our first shakedown, we have done it and are very pleased with how it went. We still now have a lot of work to be done in Durban but at least the boat is sailable.
After organising a mooring, which were very pleased with, we got quite comfortable and started planning all the work to be done. We invited people to supply quotes on sun covers for the boat, sail repairs and stainless steel to be done. Peter our friend, started planning his work which was to replace all the hydraulic steering copper tubing with new hydraulic hose, new gas lines, new hot water geyser installation, new spinnacker track on mast and a few other odds and sods.
I returned to work and 3 weeks later we were back on the boat and progress had been slow so we could not leave for Richards Bay until all work was complete. I chased up the sun covers and sail repairs, which were promised to be completed and were still outstanding. Hydraulics & Gas lines were all installed and complete. We removed the starter motor and sent in for servicing, checked the solenoid. We also installed a new alternator because we were battling to keep the batteries charged with our existing system with the fridge running. Well while we were there we completed a lot of other jobs on the list, but the covers were holding us up from sailing back to Richards Bay, so we eventually had to decide to leave the boat in Durban for another 4 weeks while I returned to work.
Vessel Name: Pizzazz
Vessel Make/Model: Montevideo 43'
Hailing Port: Richards Bay, South Africa
Crew: Hugh &Glyn
Extra: This journey will begin January 2008 and will take us from Richards Bay, South Africa to Brisbane, Australia. We are planning a 2-3 year cruise via Cape Town, St Helena, Brazil, Caribbean, Panama, South Pacific and finally Australia.