Sailing with Plankton

23 July 2014 | Cavtat, Croatia
23 July 2014 | Montenegro
22 May 2014 | Siracusa May 22, 2014
22 May 2014 | Siracusa, Sicily May 22, 2014
17 August 2013 | Cugnara Bay, N. Sardinia
17 August 2013 | Laconia, Arzachena Bay, N. Sardinia
10 August 2013 | Corsica
02 August 2013 | Isola Budelli, La Maddalena islands, Sardinia
01 August 2013 | La Maddalena Islands, Sardinia
06 April 2013 | Marina di Ragusa to Scicli to Donnalucata

A Fun Day in the Anchorage

23 July 2014 | Cavtat, Croatia
Stormy
A Fun Day in the Anchorage

Yesterday we took a fine bike ride all the way up to the ancient fortress of Grad Sotol. We finished the day with a late afternoon dinner then I updated the computers and Doug loaded 40 gallons of water aboard. Then we loaded our bikes in the dingy and headed back to the boat for a morning departure from Cavtat. Our last stop was for a glass or two ( or was it three or four?) of wine with Gaille and Ian on Princess Orceni, then back to Plankton and to bed. I turned off the wind generator so I wouldn't have to listen to it and did not set the anchor alarm since we were firmly attached to the bottom in mud.

About 7 AM we hear voices nearby, probably fisherman,and a small motor. No! What's that accent and why are they still beside us? We come out of our berth and on deck to see a huge carbon fiber catamaran off our bow and a big dinghy pushing it away from Plankton. But they can't get away from Plankton and instead of being 200 feet from our anchor, we are 125 feet, now 75 feet, and the wind is blowing 25 knots! What? They have caught our chain as they drug across the bay. After going back-and-forth, Doug is very hot under the collar fearing our bow will disengage from the boat, they get their anchor up with ours attached! Doug cuts the line to our chain and slips our orange anchor ball out with it. We move off and anchor in deeper water with our smaller 40 pound Danforth on a nylon line. That's a good anchor. She holds good.

We sit back for our first cup of coffee. The cat reanchors and the captain and his wife come over with a nice bottle of wine. Its 8 AM and we are thinking about popping the cork! Anyway, nice people. More boats break loose. It's a CF in the anchorage. Boats everywhere. Not everybody was up yet. Doug is anxious to retrieve our anchor and chain, in what?, 25 to 30 knot winds. Okay, whatever. That took a while! Princess O was just behind us so I kept a good watch ( as did Captain Ian!). After a few snags, my good man got the chain on the winch and we sat back as the show continued. Only three boats out of 20 have not broken loose, well , one may be dragging his chain... Geez, it's only 9:30 AM.

Update at 9:54 am. The French boat drug his chain 500 feet before he decided to do anything about it. As he was approaching our anchor Doug was on the bow screaming obscenities (sometimes it's better to be downwind). Princess Orseni just told us last night they had not yet drug . Whoops! Well they have tried to set a few times now. Looks like Plankton is in the clear. All the boats in front of us have moved to reanchor. Hope the wind direction doesn't change. Anyways they all brought up giant hairballs of grass in their anchors. We are in good mud. Doug stays busy with his rangefinder. He is a hawk.

I sit back with my coffee. Time to get back to that peaceful life on the boat!
Comments
Vessel Name: Plankton
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 462 Ketch
Hailing Port: Cat Spring, TX
Crew: Barb & Doug
About: Doug and Barb met in their sailing club in 2000, bought a boat together in 2006, got married in Dec. 2008, quit their jobs in 2009 and moved aboard.
Extra:
Doug and Barb left the dock in May, 2009 and spent the summer in the Florida Panhandle and Alabama on the Redneck Riviera. They returned to Kemah in late summer for the birth of Barb's first grandchild (well her fifth counting all of Doug's!). In 2010 they left Kemah to sail across the Atlantic [...]
Social:

About the crew

Who: Barb & Doug
Port: Cat Spring, TX