To sail, explore, learn and enjoy.

05 October 2013 | Mallorca now enroute to Valencia
11 August 2013 | South West Sardinian Coast
23 July 2013 | Calasetta
13 July 2013 | Cagliari
01 July 2013 | Sardinia to Corsica and back to the Maddalenas
13 June 2013 | Golfo di Cugnana, Maddalenas
07 June 2013 | Porte Conte, Northern Sardinia, Italy
25 November 2012 | Cagliari, Sardinia
11 October 2012 | from Greece to Mallorca
20 September 2012 | Gulf of Messinia
17 September 2012 | Kalamata around to Pilos and back
17 September 2012 | bottom of the Peloponese
27 August 2012 | Leonidhion, Kiparissi, Ieraka and Momevasia, Peloponese
20 August 2012 | Kea, Epidaurus, Poros, Ydra, Dhokos and Navplion
08 August 2012 | Karistos
26 July 2012 | Limni
07 July 2012 | Halkidiki to the Sporades
30 June 2012 | From Lesbos to Limnos to Halkidiki
14 June 2012 | mitilini
07 June 2012 | samos to ikaria to chios to lesbos

A Warty Bliggens moment

30 June 2012 | From Lesbos to Limnos to Halkidiki
Stavros
Skala Sikias, Sinfonia Peninsula, Halkidiki, Mainland Greece

Martyn enjoyed catching up with the family esp Andrew over from Vancouver.
Albert the ex Docker and Barbara and Ned Kelly kept me in gin company during the meltemi. We shot across to Turkey to 'check out' at Ayvalik. Good shallow anchorage once through a breezy channel and bay. Great to be back in Turkey again. Such a lovely country with wonderful people. We are sad to be leaving. Watched two young boys dressed in white satin uniforms with feathered hats riding ponies being led off to their circumcision ceremonies surrounded by very proud celebrating families.

Our farewell to Turkey started out with 27 knots of gusts and reefs in both sails and within a couple of hours we were motoring in flat calm (with dolphins including a wee baby). Back to Lesbos but to the top Mirinia (or molyvos) which was a marvellous place with a postcard harbour overlooked by a Genovese castle and lovely wisteria covered alleyways from the harbour through the village to a spectacular view. Highly recommend this place.

Motor sailed in company with Albert for 60 long miles north to Limnos. Again another pretty harbour capped by more imposing castle ruins, home to some wild deer. Legend has it that in ancient times the Limnos women had haliotosis so their menfolk ignored them, so the women killed the men which is why Jason and his Argonauts spent several years on Limnos!

Its a charming peaceful island to tour, not very green, but with lots of wheat fields, empty beaches, very few tourists and boats even. Limnos was Churchill's base for troops en route to Gallipoli. We visited some war graveyards. All very moving (19 year olds soldiers). 20 million? were killed or wounded on each side in the WW1. 800 or so are buried here.

From Limnos we had a fab cruising chute alternating with a beam reach sail to the middle finger of the Greek Mainland (can't go to the right finger cos it is an island with 17 monasteries and no women allowed!! They even have their own calendar!! Also have the impressive Mount Athos that we could see in Limnos 40 miles away).

Sometimes when we are having Warty Bliggens moments we get a dolphin visit and today was no exception with a fantastic 20 minutes of jumps and bow rides with three dolphins, a turtle drifting past and another two dolphins buzzing in. Hope for the ocean yet?!

News from home that Louis has got his degree, so we are celebrating too. Well done Louis!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Pleiades
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman Talisman 50
Hailing Port: Southampton
Crew: Martyn & Linda Jenkins
About: Friday and Wilson putytats And other reprobates along the way. Sign up here

Who: Martyn & Linda Jenkins
Port: Southampton