Helios Aweigh

Sailing in the Salish Sea of Washington and British Columbia

21 July 2018 | North Harbor Diesel
13 July 2018 | Des Moines Marina
10 June 2018 | North Tacoma
29 July 2016 | Turtle Bay, Inner Broken Islands group, Barkley Sound, British Columbia
04 January 2016 | Wollochet Bay outstation
12 October 2015 | TYC Wollochet Outstation
26 March 2015 | Tacoma
09 August 2014 | Pender Harbour
30 June 2014 | TYC Wollochet Outstation
22 June 2014 | Tacoma
16 June 2014 | Public dock Gig Harbor
11 June 2014 | Tacoma & Bainbridge Island
11 June 2014 | Breakwater Marina
20 April 2014 | TYC Wollochet Outstation
08 April 2014 | Poulsbo
07 April 2014 | Poulsbo, WA
29 March 2014 | Tacoma, WA

Wollochet Weekend

30 June 2014 | TYC Wollochet Outstation
Rain and Sun - Temp Hi 60's
I headed out around 12:30 on Friday, singlehanding. The slack at the Narrows was a little after 1. There was very little wind, so it was a fairly quick motor over in about an hour and 15 minutes. John Cassens was already tied up and walked over to give me a hand. I got settled in and then got the hose out to rinse off Helios. Joe and Cheryl arrived a little after 5 with their grandson, Max, and Linda about 30 minutes later. We visited and took turns being Max’s play partners until a later dinner time. We retired to our boats around 9. During the night you could hear the rain hitting the deck, and Saturday morning it looked like we were in for a wet weekend, but we had sunshine by mid afternoon. We loaded up in Linda’s car and went to Mizu’s Restaurant for a Japanese dinner. It is entertaining having your meal cooked right in front of you. We came back and Cheryl played games with Max aboard Focused, while Linda, Joe and I visited in the cockpit of Helios until dark. We were up Sunday morning to sunshine, and Max had his fishing pole and net out ready to wage war against the fauna in the water around the dock. He managed to net a few kelp crabs, and one red rock crab, in addition to some sea stars. Since slack at the Narrows was a little after 2, Helios left the dock a little after 1, being cast off by Linda and Joe. I managed to hit a mud bank by not paying attention as I was motoring out of Wollochet Bay, but did not hit anything hard and backed off and proceeded on my way. I had Linda waiting for me on the dock and we had Helios tied up in her slip by 3.
Comments
Vessel Name: Helios
Vessel Make/Model: 2008 Manta MkIV 42' catamaran
Hailing Port: Tacoma, WA
Crew: Bruce & Linda Kilen
About: We were born and raised in the State of Washington, and worked in the banking field. Bruce bought his first sailboat in the early 80's and is currently sailing his 4th. He has a 50 ton Captain's License. They met in 1997, married in 1999. They had Helios built as their retirement boat.
Extra: We sail in Washington and British Columbia. In a couple of years we will sail to Alaska and continue to explore British Columbia north of Vancouver Island www.heliosaweigh.com (our website)
Helios's Photos - Main
4 Photos
Created 14 June 2018
Wollochet Outstation
2 Photos
Created 17 January 2016
At Citadel Marine in Tacoma for bottom paint and repairs.
7 Photos
Created 26 June 2014
Paxton (grandson) & Vern with Grandpa in Poulsbo
5 Photos
Created 26 June 2014
Sailing Rally from TYC to Wollochet Outstation
2 Photos
Created 21 June 2014