The adventures of Polaris 2

Vessel Name: Polaris 2
Vessel Make/Model: Bluewater 400
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Margaret Campbell
Recent Blog Posts
24 March 2018 | Prince of Wales Marina

Polaris 2 back at Prince of Wales Marina Hobart

Yesterday was packing up day after 3 weeks on the water, initially in fine sunshine then a fine Tas drizzle. the attached photo shows Polaris itching to sail off the marina with the screecher set (finally in ideal 10-12 knots!).

23 March 2018 | Prince of Wales Marina

Harry the Hydrovane redeems himself crossing Storm Bay

Finally a good nights sleep at the MAST mooring at Port Arthur. An early morning swim blew away any remaining cobwebs and we were ready to hit Port Arthur tourist hotspot sans any cruise ships.

22 March 2018 | Port Arthur

Birthday Bash around Tasman Island - who's idea was that?

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Take advantage of the forecast SW wind to sail to Maria Island via the Denison Canal (and treacherous Blackman Bay and Marion Narrows - refer earlier post) and return via the forecast NE around Tasman Island to Port Arthur.

21 March 2018 | Maria Island Darlington

Harry the Hydrovane and the Acrobats on the Painted Cliffs do Maria Island

After an invigorating walk along the wind swept Riedle Bay beach and back along the shore at Shoal Bay, the mighty Polaris 2 headed north into the Mercury Passage heading for Darlington in a 10-12 knot Easterly with flat seas.

20 March 2018 | Maria Island

Hobart to Maria Island via the treacherous Blackman Bay and Marion Narrows

We ubered crewman Bob to the airport on Sunday pm and welcomed our new crew Martin on Monday in time for a refreshing seafood and pale ale lunch at the RYCT. After some re-provisioning and a healthy dinner at hole in the wall malaysian food spot Hugos, we headed off early this morning for the Denison [...]

17 March 2018 | RYCT Tas

Polaris 2 at Royal Yacht Club Tas

This is the inaugural blog of Polaris 2 - any feedback welcomed.

Harry the Hydrovane redeems himself crossing Storm Bay

23 March 2018 | Prince of Wales Marina
Andrew Robertson
Finally a good nights sleep at the MAST mooring at Port Arthur. An early morning swim blew away any remaining cobwebs and we were ready to hit Port Arthur tourist hotspot sans any cruise ships.

This spectacular historic site was even more impressive minus 3,500 of our closest friends - where our last visit was shared with a cruise ship early am. The punters were being bussed in by the barge load.

instead we had a lovey sunny morning stroll around this unique site.

Setting sail, we headed around Cape Raoul and set Harry the Hydrovane the challenge to steer us home to Hobart.

in a steady 17-20 knots, Harry rose to the challenge and steered a consistent angle to the breeze for over 3 hours. After experimenting with various ratio knob settings, we discovered in 15-20 knots, any of the 3 gears seemed ok but when the wind eased off for a while, it seemed more efficient in 3rd gear. Photo shows Harry steering like a champ!

A quick stop over at the Royal Yacht Club Tas for some fuel (39 litres/12.5 hrs = approx. 3.1 litres per hour - not bad for 20 yr old 50 hp Volvo MD22L).

Now safely berthed in an 18m berth at Prince of Wales Marina - Harry's redeeming success after bruising Polly was celebrated with a healthy dinner of fried rice and vegetables washed down with a fine Tas pinot noir.
Comments
Polaris 2's Photos - Main
The adventures of Polaris 2 preparing for Sydney to New Caledonia in May 2023
1 Photo
Created 18 April 2023
Harry sailing across Storm Bay Tasmania Australia in 15-20 knots and 7 knots boat speed - what a champ
4 Photos
Created 6 April 2018
Polaris 2 Hobart East Coast Tas Port Davey Bathurst Harbour Maria Island
No Photos
Created 21 March 2018
2 Photos
Created 21 March 2018

About & Links