Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Museum at Solomon's Island

11 October 2012 | Solomon's Island, MD
Alec Morwood-Portoles
On Thursday we decided to go to a sculpture garden from 8 AM to 9 AM because you could visit it for free at those times, after the sculpture garden we were going to go to the Calvert Maritime Museum. We dinghied to the dinghy dock at a hotel on shore, and walked 1½ miles to the sculpture garden. We walked around the sculpture garden for an hour. My favorite sculpture was a group of metal cubes on top of a metal pole on which the metal cubes revolved.

After the sculpture garden we headed for the museum. At the museum we purchased tickets, and headed for the first room on the left. Inside that room we walked down a short ramp around a tank with rays and skates. At the bottom of the on one wall of the room there were a few displays about skates and rays. On another wall there was a tank with baby skates and skate eggs inside it, with more posters about skates, which I found informative. The next room we went to had a section were you could sort through a large tub of and crushed shells and fossils found at a place called the Calvert Country Cliffs from which each person could keep one fossil. We spent a little while looking at the fossils and identifying them with someone from the museum. Farther on in the room there were some tanks with animals. In one of the tanks another person who worked at the museum turned a horseshoe crab upside down and it had 10 legs! There was also a turtle that could hide all of its legs and head in its shell. The next couple of rooms were on archeology and they had some really nice fossils and a model of what a Megalodon would have looked like because they have only found the teeth of one. The model of the Megalodon was around 50 feet long! After that there were displays about the animals from around the Chesapeake and some displays about invasive species. Then there was a large tank with 2 otters inside who kept doing laps around their tank. Which were really cool. We just skimmed over the next section, which was about people on the Chesapeake Bay because we were getting tired. I didn't find the exhibits about the people on the Chesapeake very interesting. After that we left the museum. Another difficult day at school where they work us way too hard :-)

Alec
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter