Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Little Bay

23 October 2012 | Little Bay, VA
Marta Portoles
We left Tangier Island and sailed (yes, sailed!) to Little Bay on the West side of the Chesapeake. We were bearing SW and the wind was first SSW and then S and then it almost went SSE. It was beautiful sailing with about 10 to 12 knots of wind under full main and jib, we were doing about 7.5 knots. And then, Mark said, should we try the Code 0 (aka Gennaker). Ummh! do I really want to do this? This is our new light winds sail instead of the jib. It works well for sailing angles from 75 to 120 and light winds. It is rigged with a continuous furling line. By pulling on the continuous furling line, the sail wraps around itself tightly around the torsion line that runs from the head to the tack of the sail, and, supposedly very quickly and safely one can put the sail away. We are still playing around with the best setting and conditions for this sail. So, reluctantly, I agree to put up the Code 0.

The code 0 added about a knot at 75 to 90 degrees from the wind at 12 knots. The apparent wind was higher at 14 knots and close to what we have thought was the limit for this sail and our comfort level (or at least mine). It was time to furl it. I let the sail sheet go and Mark started to pull in the furling line but it was not furling or only partially. We unfurled and tried again a couple of times. Mark's arms were getting tired, the coast was getting closer and the sail was not furling. At Mark's suggestion, I tighten the halyard. That did it. Alec and Roan jumped to help Mark and the Code 0 was finally furled. We both agreed that it was probably not worth the effort and stress to put and take down the sail on those conditions to just gain one knot, but it was good to know.

We tucked Por Dos inside Little Bay next to another nice looking beach. Alec, Roan and I explored the beach and the marshy shallow channels that had formed a maze between the bay and some of the beach. It was beautiful and very quiet and solitary. The beach that we liked the most had no human foot prints before the Morwood-Portoles clan arrived. There were deer prints on the beach, and also dog or maybe fox prints, seagull and squirrel prints. We saw an eagle and a woodpecker but no people.

After spending two days here, we sailed our last leg to Norfolk, VA where we will wait for John and the appropriate weather (on that order) to jump across to the Bahamas.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter