Por Dos

Family cruising in a Catamaran

16 December 2017 | Brisbane
04 November 2015 | Brisbane, Australia
30 October 2015 | Isle de Pines, Noumea, New Caledonia
08 October 2015 | Tanna, Vanuatu
01 October 2015 | Viti Levu, Mololo, Fiji
21 September 2015 | Namena, Musket Cove Malolo, Vuda Point Viti Levu, Fiji
12 September 2015 | Vanua Levu and Taveuni, Fiji
02 September 2015 | Tonga
13 August 2015 | Suwarrow, Cook Islands
25 July 2015 | Tahaa, Bora Bora and Maupiti French Polynesia
17 June 2015 | Tahiti & Moorea, French Polynesia
16 June 2015 | Fakarava, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
06 June 2015 | Tahanea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
01 June 2015 | Raiatea, Tuamotu Islands, French Polynesia
28 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
12 May 2015 | Taiohae Bay, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas Islands, French Polynesia
26 April 2015 | Academy Bay, Puerto Ayora, Santa Cruz, Islas Galapagos, Ecuador
13 April 2015 | Panama to Galapagos
07 April 2015 | Balboa, Panama
31 March 2015 | Colon, Panama

Prime Cay

09 February 2013 | Prime Cay, Exumas
Roan Morwood-Portoles
After Farmers Cay we spent a week in Prime Cay with "Isla Bonita" with Isabelle, Marc, Maël and Luanda, "Lammeroo" with Jim, Robin, and Daniel, and "Casabella" with Jacques and Karol. What the kids, Alec, Maël, Luanda, Daniel, and I did was sail around in my sailing dinghy*, go fishing, and sometimes in the morning we would go spear fishing.

In the sailing dinghy we sailed all over the place across the bay to the left of us or around the rocks to the right. Most of the time we had 2-3 people in the cockpit (depending if Daniel was there) and 1-2 people on the bow (depending if Alec was there). But sometimes we would try to go fast with a gust and everyone would climb into the cockpit so waves wouldn't pour over the bow. We capsized the sailing dinghy many times. It was great fun! A few times I even managed to dry capsize! For some reason near sunset the wind picks up and blows a few knots stronger and then dies back down. Maël and I would be sailing almost the whole day even after everybody else got bored. So when it was sunset we would be sailing and one day we were zooming across gusts of wind and managed to plane the sailing dinghy at least 10 knots for 57 seconds! That was our top speed for the sailing dinghy so far and we didn't manage to beat it. Then when it began to get darker the wind picked up so much that even though we were hiked out past 180 degrees we capsized even after Maël let out the mainsheet when we were almost vertical to rock us back to horizontalish. But even that wasn't enough because we rolled right over (I guess the wind caught the bottom of the boat) but I managed to dry roll. However, this was shallow water so the mast hit the bottom and we had to tip it back. Of course the tiller had to get unhinged and we clung on as the boat did a full 360. But I did manage to get the tiller back and tacked back just as a gust hit and we capsized again. We headed home just as the sun set and made it back in time for dinner.

Sailing was not the only thing we did. All of us also paddled all around the bay that we where anchored in trolling lines until sunset (we weren't sailing the wind had died down) and Maël had even gotten a bite from a silvery fish around 2 feet long. The fish stole his bait and ran away eluding us for the rest of the day. We didn't get any fish trolling around but we tried. Our main fishing source was spearfishing. We would set out in the morning before school and go to a fishing spot. Alec caught a fish (that then stabbed my dad with its poisonous spines). I caught a fish ("surprise!") and so did Maël & Marc.

We had a great time with everybody at Prime Cay. Unfortunately, eventually Casabella had to go to Staniel Cay for propane and Isla Bonita had to fly back to Canada leaving their boat in the Bahamas for the summer. However Lammeroo continued down with us and we are still seeing them around in the Bahamas.

Roan.

* See "Teaching Andrew how to Sail" blog for more info on our sailing dinghy.
Comments
Vessel Name: S/V Por Dos
Vessel Make/Model: Catana 48
Hailing Port: Salem, MA
Crew: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
S/V Por Dos's Photos - Main
5 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
26 Photos
Created 3 July 2012

Us

Who: Mark, Marta, Alec & Roan
Port: Salem, MA
Site Meter