s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Back to Manta

29 June 2012 | At anchor - Tokatokaunu (Manta) Pass, Drawaqa Island, Yasawa Group, Fiji
Rod
After 4 nights at Blue Lagoon, it was soon time to start our way back south, so we can begin our preparation for passage to Vanuatu. Jenny, and her crew, had departed two days ago, sailing direct for Denarau. We had had some great fun while at Blue Lagoon. The other day, we hiked over the hill to the other side of the island to a small village where a woman named Lo has a "shop" where she bakes and sells banana cake. The shop, of course, is a small Fijian Bure. She was out of banana cake, but had chocolate. Ok, choco it was. The hike was beautiful with stunning views of the water and the many neighboring islands. Lo was friendly as were all of the local people we had asked directions from. All in all, another really great experience.

Elisabeth had managed to get sick somehow. She felt pretty weak and lousy with an unhappy stomach for two days. Yesterday, a boat came by and the young Fijians asked "would you like a lobster?" as he held up a big, beautiful, freshly speared lobster. "How much?" "Twenty dollars" he said. Now that is $20 Fijian, about $10 US. I only had a $50 bill, and told him so. He said that he would go get change at the dive shop at the resort. Ok then, I gave him the $50, he gave me the lobster, and off he went.....and then promptly came back with my change. "What about tomorrow?" he asked. Too bad. I told him that we were leaving in the morning. But now, I had a big lobster. Elisabeth had told me "It is all yours. I am in no condition for a lobster". Mmmmmm, sorry she felt bad, but what a treat. So, I diced up a whole clove of garlic, put it in melted butter (that wonderful New Zealand Anchor Brand butter in the tin that does not need refridgeration until it is opened). I got the biggest pot we have and filled it with water for boiling. At full boil, the lobster went in. Ha! It was so big that I had to keep turning it over to get it cooked all the way through. Soon, it was done. The butter and garlic were ready. Cold white wine from New Zealand was poured, and it was all laid outside, in the cockpit, for a wonderful treat. Blue sky, Blue Lagoon, blue water, beautiful white sandy beach, warm comfortable air... It all was a pretty perfect scene. Elisabeth was outside with me and couldn't resist asking for a bite. Then another bite. And another. And wine. More bites. Soon, it was evident that this lobster had healing properties. It was quite worth sharing, and she has felt better ever since. How nice is that? Doctor Rod's magic cure.

Meanwhile, the day previous, at good old Blue Lagoon, our Aussie friends in the catamarans Lady Nada and Cable's Length had arrived. Since we were to leave in the morning, we wanted to take them ashore and buy a round of drinks for them. Who knows when we will see them again, if ever. Elisabeth revived, we did just that, and had a lovely visit and send off. Bill plays trumpet. We never managed to get together and play, but this morning, as we motored out of the anchorage, he came up on deck and played (for us and the entire anchorage!) Waltzing Matilda. It was very touching and very nearly brought a tear to our eyes. Good buddies. Bill, Sue, Ian, Sue, we will miss you! We had nice warm wind in the twenties to sail with today, and if the mantas run tomorrow, we will be diving with them. As always, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts" wish you the best!
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.