s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Vanuatu Tomorrow!

15 July 2012 | At anchor - Lautoka, Fiji
Rod
We do apologize. We had intended to update this blog as soon as we arrived in Denarau, but we didn't. So then, shall we catch up a little, and we share with you our current and future plans?

We last reported from Navadra. Did we mention the cruise ship? We yachties always talk about how crowded an anchorage is. There ARE many boats out nowadays, and the anchorages DO get crowded, but it always seems possible to fit just one more in. Well, one morning, we were watching a cruise ship make its way up the coast, outside the reef of Navadra. We assumed it was traveling north, but thought it would be cute to call out to our friends anchored "next door" that "Oh, look! They are coming here to anchor right between us, but don't worry. They are professionals and know what they are doing!" As it turned out, that was exactly what they did. Every one in the marina was amazed and couldn't believe their eyes. Yet, here was this big big cruise ship coming into our anchorage and manuvering right in between the yachts. It was just too much fun. There were Germans on the ship calling out to us because of our German flag. They were taking photos. We were taking photos. And you know? There really was gobs of room. Gave us all a new perspective of how much room there is in an anchorage. See our photos of the Yasawas. We posted photos of this event. It really is funny to see this big cruise ship up so close. We never felt uncomfortable either. They were professionals, and did a super job.

After a couple of super days there at Navadra, it was getting time to start thinking of Vanuatu, so we headed back over to Denarau for maintenance and preparation for the passage. Denarau sounds a lot like "dinner out" doesn't it? So, that's what we did. Work in the day, play in the night. We rebuilt the dinghy engine carburetor, refueled the boat, checked all fluids, washed the boat, repaired a gel coat scratch, sealed a hatch, bought a new dinghy gas tank, bla, bla, bla the usual technical side of yachting. In the evening, we went for happy hour at !!!!????? The Hard Rock Café. Such an unlikely place for us to make our headquarters, but they had beer for $3 Fijian which is about $1.5 US. It was just good economics. What fun it turned out to be. This place turned out to be staffed with a number of really fun Fijian young people who just won our hearts. It got so that when we would be out walking that we would often hear our names being called out by our young friends as they spotted us while they were on their break. We took photos, but they are not posted yet. But believe it. They were really special. The dynamic seemed to be that they guys were very sweet (we are from San Francisco, so this perfectly normal and fine with us) and the young women were sturdy - like cops. We loved them, and we felt loved by them. We did have fun together.

Soon all projects were done, and the marina was kicking us out. It is very busy here right now (too many yachties!) and they had reservations to honor, so we were off for a few more days at Musket Cove while we waited for the next good weather window for passage to Vanuatu. Well, that window has arrived, and we leave in the morning. We figure a four day passage to Tanna. We are especially excited because Tanna was where we landed in 2007. While there we met a number of people, I taught the local band some Chuck Berry (at their request). Our intention is to try and find these people. We promised them that we would return, and after five years, we are about to make good on that promise. The 12 year olds will now be towering over us, the grown ups may have a few grey hairs. We are very thrilled at the prospect of meeting people who touched our hearts back then. Will they remember us? Hard to say. Lots of yachts, every season, in and out. But we have photos, and they always help jog the memory. We will see.

Now then, off to bed for me and an early start in the morning. We are at the Customs anchorage in lautoka. There are also eight other boats here, so the cue in the morning will be impressive. If each yacht takes an hour ..well, do the math. I need to be there early. See you on passage. By the way, the weather is looking good for a wonderful trade wind passage. Very different from the New Zealand passage. We will be reporting enroute! Ta, ta!

As always, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts" wish you the best!
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.