s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Slow Dancing

15 April 2013 | About 130 miles south of Majuro
Rod
It's been quite the slow day. We have made it out of the wind in the Majuro area and have transgressed into the zone of ultra light wind. Right now, we currently are experiencing a blazing 5 knots of true wind, directly on the nose for the course we want. Sigh.... So, we bobbed about for a bit today, followed by motor-sailing. Motor sailing is only a temporary fix for all of the obvious reasons, but it does allow us to proceed direct to our destination for a while. Then we hope the wind will fill in and engine goes to bed. We did get about an hour of some wonderful sailing we had talked about with our friend Bob, who sends us weather forecasts and generally looks out for us while we are on passage. At the risk of digression, Bob and his wife Kristi circumnavigated the globe in the years 1972 to 1974. We love them dearly and consider them to be pretty good role models for anyone, especially us.

But, since the wind is so light, it just won't move us when we are close-hauled. This means pulling the sails in very tight for upwind sailing. All boats have different characteristics and this is one of Proximity's talents. But you must have wind. We tried cracking off until we got movement,but neither port nor starboard would give us anything we could really use. With the light wind we found that we could head could head to the Solomons or up to Mili. So we tried motor sailing. Amazingly, then the wind came around enough such that we could turn the engine off and make a good course. It was a perfect sailing hour.

But, as you know, all good things come to an end. This one came when a big black squall materialized in front of us. We used the engine to steer around it, but then a horizon full of line squalls greeted us. We couldn't go around something so big, so we just punched through. After we were through, the wind direction and velocity had changed back to its light and unusable condition.

Now then, our plan is to motor-sail on course through the night and see what tomorrow brings. The forecasts and gribs all call for something different, so we have hope that the good stuff will materialize. In the mean time, we remain patient. It really is nice just to be out here. Especially now that the rain has lightened up. It is no longer constant. We like that.

Elisabeth and I both send our love to all of you and to Bob and Kristi, our beloved role models!

Oh yes, people always want to know what we eat on passage. It was rough yesterday, and Elisabeth wasn't hungry, so I had a cheese sandwich made from home baked bread that our friend Ants had baked and brought over. For night watch nibbles, we had Ritz crackers. Elisabeth did manage some chocolate. For breakfast, I shared an orange with Elisabeth and a piece of bread with cashew butter. All with nice strong espresso coffee. For lunch, we enjoyed some fresh sashimi tuna that Ants had brought to us. See? Ants is a very good friend, isn't he? Dinner tonight was raviolis (canned) that we had bought in New Zealand. Night watch nibbles will be spicy hot Japanese rice crackers. So we do pretty well. It is not like on land, but pretty good, I'd say. Cheers!
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.