s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Thursday Departure

14 May 2013 | At Anchor, Rotuma
Rod
Well, we think it is Thursday for departure. It really is beautiful here. It is like the Marin County of Fiji. When we finished with the check in formalities, the Customs guy and his colleagues invited us to ride over to the Government complex with them in their truck. The Government complex is where the offices, hospital, post office, store, etc are. It is probably the closest thing to a town on Rotuma.

Our ride was in a lorry style truck, much like what soldiers would ride in, and we sat in back. The cover was open in the front, so I could look as we drove. My Customs friend pointed out his mom's village, where he lived as a boy, etc. All of what you would expect. The amazing thing to us was how clean and manicured everything was. I mean seriously clean and manicured, like a nice park. Then there were the homes. There were some of the prettiest island homes we have ever seen. Places we would love to live. Now, of course, not every home was beautiful, but even the modest, say, poorer places were beautifully taken care of. And no litter anywhere. Beautiful. Rotuma looks very loved by it's residents.

The ride was 9 km, and the walk back was the same 9 km, so we got some good exercise today. Which is good, because at the hospital, there was a sign that read "You Don't Stop Exercising Because You Get Old, You Get Old Because You Stop Exercising." Yes, then, we got our exercise. It felt really good and was such a treat to walk in such beauty. Green everywhere, happy people, clean. What's not to love? The wineing and dining? No wineing and dining here. We wine and dine on board Proximity. No problem.

No, I'm afraid it's the anchorage. We still feel that it is so exposed, that we don't want to linger, especially with weather coming up. It is forecast to blow pretty good soon. We are already rolling quite heavily even though the wind is nearly nil. Actually, we may roll less with a little wind for stability, but if it went the other way, we can imagine sleepless nights on anchor watch. We have had them before, and will avoid them if possible. The reef is close.

Oh yes, I nearly forgot. The water is unbelievably clear here. We are anchored in 40 feet. This morning, I could look down and see the bottom, I could see our anchor chain, AND follow it all the way to the anchor and see how well the anchor was set! You sailors know how special this is. You others just take my word, at 40 feet to see such detail, is remarkable bordering on miraculous. The anchor, by the way, was set text-book perfect. The blades were buried and the shaft was just visible. Our anchor is an Ultra, stainless steel. It is truly an amazing anchor, and we would have no other. The Rocna people are very happy with their anchors, but we would have no other. And how did we spot the anchor shaft? The sun reflecting on it - at 40 feet!

Tomorrow, we snorkle the reef!

Peace Rod and Elisabeth
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.