s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Passage Majuro to Tuvalu, Day 1

24 April 2014 | About 100 miles south of Majuro.
Rod
April 24, Day 1

Our first day of the passage is now in the "books". It was a day with a few surprises, and also with "as expected". The actual departure from Majuro was as expected. The channel and water north of Majuro are always rough,and yesterday was no exception. So, until we had passed north of Majuro and then south along the Fordyce channel between Majuro and Arno, we had high wind and really big rough seas on our nose. Elisabeth took a picture of your very wet captain - I'll post it when I can.

Then, while Majuro was still in sight to our north, the wind just quit and the seas went flat. For about an hour, we motored along southbound waiting for the forecast easterly wind to fill in. When the wind did fill in, it was from the south,again on our nose. The difference is that the seas were now pretty flat and the wind was light. Close-hauled in light wind is a joy on our boat, so we had an absolutely delightful rest of the day and evening.

We started out 3 hours, 3 hours off watch schedule at 6 pm with me taking the first watch, and Elisabeth taking the first sleep. We have gotten quite adept at sleeping at the slightest opportunity, and 6 pm seems perfectly sensible in this sailing life. Dinner last night was a simple can of French canneloni (yes, I know it is an Italian dish, but the can came from France). Breakfast this morning was French toast (bread was from Majuro), so you can see that we live reasonably well even onpassage.

All in all a good first day. Hard work to start, then it got easy. Elisabeth is now napping, and as always, we send many hugs to everyone.

Rod and Elisabeth, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts"
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.