Passage Majuro to Tuvalu, Day 3 and 4
27 April 2014 | About 4276 miles southwest of San Francisco.
April 26, Day 4
Day four. "I think it's going to be longer than 10 days....." Today, we had wind, but it was not cooperating. It would let us go west - not good. Ourdestination is southeast. It would let us go east, but without any south. Also not good, as there is a chain of islands (the Northern Gilberts) that lie to the east of us in a line that stretches from northwest to southeast. We need to stay to the west side of them and run along southeast until we arrive at Funafuti, Tuvalu. So we sailed as far east as we could, arriving at the doorsteps of Tarawa, then tacking around and sailing as close to a heading of southwest as the wind would allow. We did this repeatedly arriving at Tarawa at least three times, each time a ittle bit further south, but believe me, it is not the efficient way to go sailing. But sometimes, this is the hand you are dealt, and it becomes what you make of it. So we gave the day a name: "I think it's going to be longer than 10 days...". This is just part of sailing across the equator with its unsettled weather. It will become coherent again soon...we hope!
Day five. "Good Golly Miss Molly,it's Squally!" Our stellar performance yesterday gave us a total of about 40 miles toward destination. Considering that our best day ever was 180 miles, we are not impressed. So today had a wind forecast of 1 to 2 knots of wind, and we were advised by our very dear and respected friend Bob, that perhaps we ought to stop in Tarawa and wait for more wind in a few days. After discussing this reasonable option with each other, we decided to motor-sail our way through the day. So we did. But it was a very squally and grey day. Squalls everywhere, and they all had wind. Elisabeth and I spent the day like children chasing geese, running after squall to squall. It was fun. We enjoyed the challenge, but it is not an efficient way to sail. Today's distance covered is better than yesterday, but it is not impressive. Tomorrow's forecast promises better conditions for covering ground, er, uh, water. You know, it's funny the little things that bring joy to two best buddies out sailing in no wind. We sighted a Korean freighter on the AIS, bound for Funafuti. So, I called him on the radio, announced that we were in his path to be overtaken, and just let him know we were here. The the guy who answered was just as nice a guy you could ever ask for. At the end of the conversation, we are hoping to find his ship there and maybe have dinner together. Cool, eh? We like it. Meanwhile, we motor since the wind is about 3 knots.
Always wishing you the best, Rod and Elisabeth, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts"