s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Sorry We're So Late

17 May 2014 | Funafuti, Tuvalu
Rod
May 17 We apologize for no word for a while. We have been distracted. We arrived in Tuvalu in beautiful weather, and caught up with our friends who we met last year. Our friend Pentala, who works at the bank remembered us straight away, and promptly invited us to his cousin's wedding. We connected up with Vasa, the port captain and took her to dinner. There is another boat here, Lark (Brad and Linda), who we met in Majuro. They are lovely people, and we have been spending time with them, and meeting people they have met. This, of course, involves multiple evenings for dinner, snacks, hanging out, music playing, on our boat and theirs with our local friends, as well as other travelers we have met. Last night, we had a dinner party on Lark with Jake, from Philippines and Kristian and Larissa from Germany.

The wedding was great. It started at 3 in the afternoon, and we got back to the boat after 11 pm after we had simply gotten too tired to stay up any longer and quietly slipped out. It was quite a big affair. To give a sense of size, there were five big pigs roasted for the occasion, and the biggest buffet I have ever seen. Many relatives, friends, and special guests. We were honored to be a part of it.

We are also interested in the progress of five boats that left the Marshalls one week behind us. Two of the boats were bound for Tuvalu, but they simply didn't have the wind velocity or the direction to make it and have diverted to Vanuatu. We talk with them on the HF radio most evenings. The weather has turned bad out there and they are in it. It seems that the entire Southwest Pacific is under the influence of a series of low pressure troughs, fronts, and convergence zones right now, including gale areas. We are digging up what weather information we can and are reading it to our friends out at sea, so they can prepare to "do battle" armed with the latest information. This is what our dear friend Bob does for us when we are out on passage, and it is hard to describe how good it is to have someone looking out for you when you are out. Bob, thank you for teaching us so well!

With the weather in such a mess, we are looking for our break to make a run for Fiji. Right now, our destination area is getting 25 to 35 knots of wind gusting to 45. This means that we don't go just yet. We are in a good safe place, and we will go when the "coast is clear". So, meanwhile, we wish you all the best, and remember to be excellent to each other.

Rod and Elisabeth, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts"
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.