s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Day 15, Two Weeks Out

31 May 2016 | A Day Late and a Dollar Short
Rod
Tuesday, May 31 Two weeks out today. We are not quite half way there, but we are getting close. Come to think of it, we have been very close to half way for a while now. Well, we don't want to break tradition. "What are you getting at Rod?" "You found the wind, didn't you?" Well, yes, we did, and it was amazing. The cold front started appearing on the west horizon shortly after daybreak. The high cirrus clouds were heralding the arrival of cool temperatures, fresh breezes, etc. I got the camera out and took some beautiful photos of them. We transitioned from electric steering to the wind vane. The vane likes a stronger wind, so in the light stuff, we use the electric. The wind built through the day, and for an amazing three hours shortly after noon, we had 16 knots and were zipping along at 6.5 knots effortlessly. It was soul sailing nervana. Then the wind died. "That's it folks!" "Show's over, everybody go home!" What? We couldn't believe it. So we went back to the computer and requested the very latest grib. It showed that we were seeing the right thing. The front wasn't happening here. It was only going to brush us by, and that's what it did. Three hours. Now, the seas were lumpy, and the poor wind vane could no longer steer, so it's back on the electric. We are still moving, but the angle of the wind now had us going more east than north. We need north as well as east, but we really need north to get out of this variable wind zone.

So, it appeared that we could gybe back to the west and get a lift north and try and put ourselves into the front where the wind is. That then, is what we are doing. We are heading northwest to chase that wind because it is evident that if we don't, tomorrow, it will send us east with very light wind and little north. Now, aren't you sorry you asked?

We are two weeks out. It's all good. Remember Chumbawumba? They had a song we've been singing today. "I get knocked down, but I get up again, You're never going to keep me down. I get knocked down, but I get up again, You're never going to keep me down, I get knocked down, but I get up again, you're never going to keep me down." Meanwhile, we did manage to put in a 73 mile day yesterday, so we are moving toward destination.

Love you honey, bye!

All best and hugs to all of you.

As always, be excellent to each other.

Rod and Elisabeth, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts" "Les Pirates d'Honneur"
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.