s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Day 17, Half Way and Weird Celebration

02 June 2016 | Passage from Marshall Islands to Alaska
Rod
Thursday, June 2 We have had a beautiful sailing night and day today. We put in about 125 miles that includes a turn from an easterly heading to direct on course to DH. We did this about 0430 this morning. It just looked light ahead, and to the north were the forecast winds that you spoke of in your email. Gribs show them too. The turn was at N 31 01, E177 48. It was lovely. The wind had shifted and we were on our way! The day has been very foggy with light rain - total cloud cover. Seriously dark last night. Over the course of the day, we had some lovely sailing, did some GoPro filming, saw a few ships on the AIS. It was a nice day.

We also have a celebration. We passed our half way mark with distance to Majuro now being greater than to DH. So, Elisabeth made a gala dinner. We had a bottle of Martinelli's apple juice, and a nice plate of nachos, complete with beans, onions, olives, jalapenos and salsa on the side. Just after we sat down to eat, the wind machine turned off. What? Off? Yes, off. Not completely still, but not enough to fill a sail against the rolling of the boat. You know the drill. Side to side rolling, banging and slatting violently, threatening to break sail slides. (We had that happen to us before, back on the 2009 Baja Ha Ha.) So, dinner was over while we salvaged the situation. Hand steer, and set course to take advantage of what ever wind we had. Up at the top of mast, the windex was spinning in circles. On our boat, this means that there is not enough wind with which to sail. The drift is no slower than all of anyone's fine efforts. So, main down, genoa rolled up, finish a cold and soggy nacho dinner, and save the Martinelli's for another day.

Our position at 1800 is N32 12, E178 02. (Told you we did well.) Course and speed are not listed, as we are drifting until the wind reappears. Hopefully soon, as is truly is in the forecasts. We got a communique from Panta Rhei today. Larry said they got clobbered by big wind on the nose and huge seas last night, and ended up lying ahull. He sounded a little shook and unhappy, but all is ok. Sailing today on very reduced sail. About 250 miles north of us at Lat 36.

I said this was a bit of a chess game, didn't I. Just wish I was good at chess...

All best and hugs to all of you.

As always, be excellent to each other.

Rod and Elisabeth, "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts" "Les Pirates d'Honneur"
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.