s/v Proximity

The Voyages and Adventures of "Your Rock and Roll Argonauts".

31 December 2019 | Emeryville Roadtrip
16 July 2017 | Wrangell Harbor
15 July 2017 | Petersburg, Alaska
12 July 2017 | Baronof Warmm Springs
10 July 2017 | Tenakee Inlet
08 July 2017 | Hoohah
07 July 2017 | Elfin Cove Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
29 June 2017 | Yakutat City Dock
26 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska, East of Kayak Island, West of Icy Bay
25 June 2017 | Gulf of Alaska
24 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
21 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
20 June 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Seward, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Passage to Kodiak
22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
22 April 2017 | Sand Point, Alaska

Chignik

22 April 2017 | Chignik,, Alaska
Rod
Chignik
Chignik was fun. Since there was no room to tie in the harbor, one of the big fishing boats called us on the radio and offered that we could side tie to them. This made for a great time. Our host was a boat named "Lucrative", captained by a young man named Gary. Gary was an excellent host and offered that we could use his hot shower and bathroom facilities on board his big boat. We took him up on it at least once. Gary told us of a local lady who baked doughnuts fresh on (I think) Tuesdays. He said that she also makes some filled with the delicious Salmon Berries that we had found in Dutch Harbor. We had heard of these doughnuts, out in here in the wilderness, from our friends Gaby and Lutz from SuAn. They had tried to get some, but found that the fishermen had bought them all up before they got to the shop. Ok then, Gary was going to make the run in the morning, and I offered that we would buy as a way to say thank you for the hospitality. Good trade! So in the morning, Gary disappeared and returned a while later with TWO boxes of fresh, hot (including Salmon Berry stuffed) doughnuts. He presented us with a whole box, and I asked "What's up with this?" He said that the lady had talked him into buying two boxes, that he thought we would like them, and he made a command decision. Thank you, Gary. That was a great decision. Maybe it was because we were so far out in the wild, or that since it was a bit chilly, I don't know, but your Rock and Roll Argonauts were in doughnut heaven. They really were yummy!
One day, as we sat in our boat talking with Gary on his boat, I heard behind me what sounded like a high-pressure hose come loose. It was, in fact, a whale. In the harbor, a whale. It had surfaced after swimming under Lucrative. I could have reached out and touched it. Elisabeth did manage to get a photo of it. Amazing. Alaska. We are having a great time.
Comments
Vessel Name: Proximity
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 41
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: Rod Lambert, Elisabeth Lehmberg
About:
Who Are Rod and Elisabeth? We are Rod Lambert and Elisabeth Lehmberg. Elisabeth is from Bremerhaven, Germany, and Rod is from Monterey, California. In our youth we each had dreams of living on the water and sailing long distance. [...]
Extra: 2017 Update. From 2009 to Summer 2016, we sailed the South Pacific Ocean, visiting many many wonderful places and meeting incredible all along the way. Finally, it was time to do something a little different, so we headed North. North to Alaska. The dream continues. Welcome!
Social:
Proximity's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.