PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation.

living the perfect life ...

07 January 2013 | Vuda Marina
05 September 2011 | Galapagos
03 March 2011
09 September 2010 | Fiji Islands
21 July 2010 | South Africa
14 July 2010 | South Pacific
05 May 2010 | fiji islands
21 April 2010
16 April 2010 | Fiji Islands
29 March 2010 | south pacific
18 March 2010 | New Zealand
02 October 2009 | Fiji
01 September 2008 | Fiji
17 July 2008 | Fiji
02 June 2008 | Fiji
08 December 2007 | Fiji
05 November 2007 | Samoa
05 October 2007 | 13deg 28W, 173deg 28S

Durban to Durban

26 January 2002 | 29 52.00S/31 02.00E
Ronel
Although it wasn't a perfect weather window, we decided to leave, influenced largely by the international yachties' impatience to wait.

The excitement started! There are more than 12 boats with international yachtsmen and women moored in Durban, busy with their circumnavigations and they have been waiting longer than 10 days for the weather to clear in order to continue their voyages. Last minute top-up of water tanks and shopping and "clearing out" kept everybody in a frenzy of anticipation. The decision to leave was contagious and if anybody was in doubt to leave, the excitement that hung over the air made it easier to decide to use the window and leave as well.

The girls went around with their autograph/address books and calling cards were handed out. (Most yachtsmen have calling cards with their ship's name, email address and telephone number printed on them, which also helps to remember friends met during their travels). Riaan folded the dinghy and secured everything on deck. Mommy went shopping - again! When I returned to the boat it was strange to see her all packed up, surfboards lashed down, jerry-cans stored on the dive platform - all ready and in cruising mode....

We have been back since early November and the time had flown with all the arrangements that had to be made after Deon's death, trying to rebuild my life without my partner and preparing for our voyage on Prrrfection - sailing the seas on our circumnavigation. The yacht was as ready as could be and we were eagerly waiting for the latest weather forecast so that we can start.

Some yachts started to leave the marina from two oclock and the big exodus was underway. Tony and Emmy, our crewmembers were saying their last goodbyes to their friends and there was a constant stream of friends to Prrrfection, saying goodbyes and wishing us well.

And then the rain came pouring down. The mooring lines were cast off by our friends while Andre was blowing away on his shofar, all while sheets of rain came down. We were soaked and the visibility was reduced to a couple of meters. I was glad of the rain in a way - nobody could see if it was rain or tears that kept flooding my face.

I remembered our departure out of Durban just over 6 months earlier. It was a clear sunny day. All aboard was mad with excitement. Deon was phoning Mom, saying goodbye and trying to sound not too happy about leaving. Oscar, the crew we had for our crossing to Madagascar, was frantically waving to all the diners at the restaurants lining the Harbour entrance. I was again at the helm, happy and excited, thinking about all the fun and adventure that lay ahead of us, not knowing that I would be sailing back through the same entrance, 5 months later, without our beloved Daddy and husband.

We were asked to wait for two incoming ships but, after a couple of minutes, Port Control gave us clearance to exit Durban Harbour as the big ships could not enter due to bad visibility.

We crossed the bar at 8 o'clock but could not see more than 15 meters ahead of us due to the rain. The rain combined with a southerly wind, gusting up to 28 knots, hit our faces, stinging like needles. Although we left on a southerly wind, we were hoping it would change after a couple of hours, when we would be a couple of miles offshore. But that was not what was happening. The sea was in a confused state and huge swells, up to 4 meters combined with the wind, kept us from making any headway. After one and a half hours we were still just opposite the entrance of the harbour, although blown miles offshore. We could not round the South Breakwater. We could not go south. Riaan asked us to try for another hour, but after 30 more minutes, we realised it was futile and we turned Prrrfection, back to the harbour. We motored into the harbour and into our own mooring which we had left just over two hours previous. Although disappointed we knew that we were fortunate that we could still turn back in time, to try at a later stage after the wind had swung. The plan was to listen to the weather forecast at 4 am and to try early in the morning again.

It was still raining and the wind was still from the wrong direction the next morning. The yachts who left earlier were just a couple of miles down the coast and must have had a terrible time trying to make way down the coast, against the swells and the wind. The coast from Durban to East London is known for it's unpredictable weather. There are no hiding places for yachts on this 250 miles stretch if the weather should change and at least 40 hours of favourable weather are needed to get to East London.

As I am writing this, the weather is still not favourable and another SW will be coming through shortly. I hope the other yachts will have made it in time and will be safe and warm and dry in East London .

Comments
Vessel Name: Prrrfection
Vessel Make/Model: Wildcat 35
Hailing Port: DURBAN, South Africa
Crew: Ronelle, Claude, Mariska & Rochelle
About: Mom Ronelle, Partner Claude and teenagers- Mariska and Rochelle started circumnavigating 2001
Extra:
After the untimely death of father Deon van Rooyen in 2001, mom Ronelle continued to circumnavigate with her children - Riaan, Mariska and Rochelle. Claude has been her partner for many years, sharing her love of the sea, adventure, new places... The voyage is a sloooowwww one.....each [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/prrrfection/?xjMsgID=3715
Prrrfection's Photos - PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation. (Main)
Photos 1 to 91 of 91
1
grilling fish on the coals
look at our cute dinghy in the background
crystal clear fiji waters...
our panasonic lumix camera with underwater housing
 such a nice picture moment... i could not resist it
rochelle getting it up at Natadola beach
my angels in an  underwater paradise
a germinating coconut
this is Fiji
having communal dinners on the lawns at Vuda
this was just after our Tsunami scare
my family - 2010
waiting at nadi airport for riaan
dearest Riaan during his visit
one of the advantages to living half ashore - is growing flowers and veggies again
the bay is as nice as the beach
we are Not in a swimming pool!
the surfing dudes! (the ho-dads)hahahahah
peace
picnic on the beach
rivers to explore
this sandy spit is exposed at low tide
the girls in their school uniforms..
beaches for picnics...
beautiful  under water scenes
this is fiji
mariska and rochelle painting the mural at the marina
beautiful above the water
beautiful under the water
stripes logos graphics on a boat - that is our job
mariska enjoying the water
underwater fiji
we could not stop taking photos
fish and the mermaid...
a  favourite secluded spot
the other mermaid..
rochelle in her own world
claude getting all arty again
swimming amongst the fish
this is in the sea - it is not in an aquarium - i promise!
musket cove - a view from the top
my job - logos and names and designs....
the entrance to Vuda Marina...and Amigo in the foreground
beaches...palm trees....
making signs...
reflection on prrrfection...
at anchor ...with one of the many spectacular sunsets....
my favourite colours are here as well
the marina
claude with the horses on the beach
horse riding on the beach
Jope and Nunya
Jope and best man - look at the beautiful Masa cloth
Claude taking Amigo for a paddle
having a horse also makes living in Fiji a brighter place...
home at night
friends and fun and laughter
having kava
hindu wedding
friends = fun!!
underground oven - lovo
fishing
food from heaven - palm heart - grilled fish...(not the coke)
frangipani fragrance
Vuda
lovo feast
El Piso - the boat that we use to map/chart anchorages whilst writing the new Fiji cruising guide
Friends, Fun , Food, Fiji.....
dressing up a-la-indian-style
claude at work
cycling
claude and the girls - and it is NOT a swimming pool!
Claude and i at a resort
a sure way not to get lost in the dark....
amigo passed out....
Claude grilling freshly caught fish on the beach
beautiful waters
the cousins having fun during cyclone Mick
a traditional Fijian house - Bure
ronel on bow
rochelle weaving palm leaves
rochelle
rochelle catching ature
rochelle fishing
mariska and rochelle
house boat 2
claude dinghy
claude ronel waterfall
claude animals kayak
backstep splashing
claudes big 51
 
1
Prrr was the first catamaran to be hauled out at Vuda Point Marina's new catamaran ramp.
No Photos
Created 25 May 2017
favourite photos that i brought back due to demand!! thanx
38 Photos
Created 20 April 2010

The Cruising Yacht SiteRing

Previous | List | Random | Join | Next

SiteRing by Bravenet.com